Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wenkew186
Creator
Creator

QVS server can not release memory

hi all,

i have a problem about the server memeory can not release automantic. it always increase except restart the qvs service.  if  any set issue on QEMC or others. how to solve this issue let release memory itself? any one can help me or get me some suggestion? thanks very much!

QVS: 9.0.7440.8

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

The server is designed not to release memory back to Windows, once the memory is allocated. So it will appear as if the memory just grows. But this isn't dangerous for the server. It is expected behaviour..

QlikView monitors its own cache, purges entries that are not used and adds new ones based on the selections that the users make. But it does not return allocated memory to Windows, since this would fragment the memory.

QlikTech constantly runs internal tests of the server, where servers run for very long periods. So I am fairly confident potential memory leaks will be discovered if there are any. And they will get fixed.

The "Working Set Limits" will not change the principal behaviour but it will limit how much memory QlikView will allocate.

HIC

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Not applicable

Hi,

Everynite i have a job to restart all the QV services to reset all the memories.

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

This is not a problem. It is the cache that isn't released and it is the correct behaviour. If you want to decrease the amount of memory that the QVS is allowed to use, you should decrease the "Working Set Limits".

HIC

wenkew186
Creator
Creator
Author

Nicksatch thanks for your reply, but I think restart service high frequency is not a normal method.

wenkew186
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks for your attention Henric, I understand your idea, what’s the  "Working Set Limits".?   Your mean’s reduce access people amount isn’t it?

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Look at this thread: http://community.qlik.com/thread/22370

HIC

wenkew186
Creator
Creator
Author

Henric l'v looked these suggestion,   "Working Set Limits" is  limit the totality used for memeory, i don't know  if it will to help fleetly release physics memory . For the long time in the future , i don't want see the memory used always in growth. i hope the high and low will show to across. because the performence monitor  team will  think this is a dangerous for server. thanks!

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

The server is designed not to release memory back to Windows, once the memory is allocated. So it will appear as if the memory just grows. But this isn't dangerous for the server. It is expected behaviour..

QlikView monitors its own cache, purges entries that are not used and adds new ones based on the selections that the users make. But it does not return allocated memory to Windows, since this would fragment the memory.

QlikTech constantly runs internal tests of the server, where servers run for very long periods. So I am fairly confident potential memory leaks will be discovered if there are any. And they will get fixed.

The "Working Set Limits" will not change the principal behaviour but it will limit how much memory QlikView will allocate.

HIC

wenkew186
Creator
Creator
Author

OK Henric thank you very much for your so great reply !. 

i don't assurance on something yet , .

in case, my server memory amount is 512G, when  i set the Low Limit (%)=70%; High Limit (%)=90%, Cache (%)=10%.    in the Windows task manager,  the memory used from  30G to 360G just cost 3 month start create the qvs.  i want know, the Low Limit (%)=70% is keep for QV is long term?

wenkew186
Creator
Creator
Author

From start the qvs service to reach Low Limit (%), At least the Low Limit (%) memory  is will not back to windows? qvs will keep it long term is it?  and qvs memory release base on the Low Limit (%)--High Limit (%) area.so before arrived the Low Limit (%), the number of the memory is  always growth?