Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
obriened83
Creator
Creator

QlikView 11 SR2 Server Task Reload Hangs

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me the following issue we are having?

We recently upgraded to Qlikview 11 SR2 from Qlikview 10 SR4 but when our schedules reload over night there can be

a random incident where a Task reload gets stuck. The user has to manually stop the task from the QEMC in order

to successfully abort the Reload.

Please see the attachment of the Task Log of what happens when this incident occurs.

The Reload engine does not even open up the document. QVW file.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me this issue. Thanks very much.

Kind Regards

Eamonn

9 Replies
dbaksa_1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

I have the same problem!!!

We just upgraded from SR1 11.0.11282 to 11.20.11922. We were experiencing this issue in SR1 and based on the release notes expected this to be solved in SR2.

We are running this is test and want to promote to production no later than mid July.

Umesh
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Obriene

"The document might require username and password."

Could you please try to Create New Admin Acocunt with full permission For the Qlikview Services ..

obriened83
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi dbaksa

I was on to QlikTech regarding this issue and they send me the following PDF document (Please see below).

We haven't solved the problem yet but we are collating all the times it happens and seeing if it is occuring at a specific time. Please let me know if you get anywhere on this. Thanks very much.

Kind Regards

Eamonn

Description

If you see a task log similar to the below example, the distribution service is
running into a conflict when
simply trying to open the QVW file.

When tasks start to hang, they occupy QlikView Engines and can create a domino effect, so eventually

there are no more QlikView Engines (QVBs) available to run other subsequent tasks and eventually there

are massive task failures.

Example task log of a
hanging task:

21/08/2012 08:59:07.5454505 Information
An instance of the QlikView Engine is being created

21/08/2012 08:59:07.5454505 Information
Starting QlikView Engine

21/08/2012 08:59:09.4486749 Information
Allocated QlikView Engine successfully. Current

usagecount=9 of 10, Ticket=301451

21/08/2012 08:59:09.4486749 Information
Loading document

"C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Documents\ReloadAndDistributeMe.qvw"
(0.54 Mb)

21/08/2012 08:59:10.4626879 Information
Loading. LoadTime=00:00:01.0140130

21/08/2012 08:59:12.4907139 Information
Loading. LoadTime=00:00:03.0420390

Resolution

This can be caused by other programs scanning or opening the document at the same
time (for example a security software scan or back-up software) or perhaps
there are multiple tasks trying to open the document at the same time.

It might be a good idea to review the triggers and scheduling of your tasks so that there are no more than 1task
accessing the same document at the same time. You can do this by making those
tasks dependent on the success of the previous task, hence creating a task
chain.

Example of a task
chain:

Also check to see if there are any other
programs are locking the file to see if this might be causing the problem. Also,
(if using Publisher) by adjusting the settings on the Trigger tab > Task
Execution Options of the task by increasing the number of tries and reducing
the timeout setting, you will decrease the chance of hanging tasks occupying
QlikView Engines all day.

Adjust settings to
prevent domino effect

obriened83
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi UMESH

I have tried this but it is a ramdon file each time and our QlikView Admin account has full rights and permissions. Thanks again for replying.

Kind Regards

Eamonn

dbaksa_1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

We have these same tasks and triggers running in a V9 box and have never experianced tasks hanging. Ocassionally one or two will fail as they time out waiting for a QV engine to become available.

All task were manually re-created on the V11 server so I believe they are all in good order at this time.

Not applicable

Hi,

Do you have any update on this issue? Were you able to solve this issue. Please let me know, as I am also facing such hanging issue frequently in our server.

Regards,
Mithun

Not applicable

Any resolution on this? I am experiencing the same issue. Have 30 tasks that are triggered at once, 29 always complete and one remains hanging. It is always a different task that does so.

dbaksa_1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

I did resolve our hanging issues by changing the desktop heap settings on our server. We have 16 processors and this modification was required to configure more than 9 reload engines. The recommend number of reload engines is 1 less than the number of processors on the server for a max of 9 recommended reload engines. If you have more than 9 processors than the heap settings on the server must be modified to enable more than 9 reload engines.

I would suggest you contact support to review your system settings before proceeding with modifications to your server. There are may things that can cause tasks to hang so a review with support would be a good place to start.

Good Luck!  

obriened83
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks very much for that Daniel.