Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PanagiotisPom
Contributor II
Contributor II

QlikView Internet Explorer Plugin with Microsoft Edge support after Microsoft Internet Explorer is discontinued

Greetings everyone,

We are opening our documents Internet Explorer, using the IE plugin. This browser will be unavailable in a few days. I read many threads and explored the solution which suggests using Microsoft Edge browser in Internet Explorer compatibility mode for specific URLs (for example, homepage of server where reports are published) from settings.

Right now, using this feature allows me to use the IE plugin through Microsoft Edge. However my question is this:

Will this feature still be available and functional (in order to use the IE plugin through Microsoft Edge) when Internet Explorer is disabled/removed permanently?

Thank you all for your time.

Kind Regards,

Panagiotis

Labels (5)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Based upon https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode, I don't see it stated that Internet Explorer is required to be installed concurrently with Edge.  Qlik's IE plugin is base on ActiveX technology which is no longer present in Edge. Suggest you start migrating over to the AJAX client if you haven't already done so.  You're welcome to submit feature requests to Qlik to make specific product requests. Refer to article How to Submit Feature Requests for Qlik Products for the steps.  Thanks!

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!

View solution in original post

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@PanagiotisPom 

I'm curious where you read this "I have read that this capability (IE mode of Microsoft Edge) is offered for the next 8-9 months so the users have enough time to proceed by upgrading their current legacy technologies"

I can only find that it will be supported until 2029

from https://docs.microsoft.com/

"Customers are encouraged to move to Microsoft Edge with IE mode. IE mode enables backward compatibility and will be supported through at least 2029."

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @PanagiotisPom,

Qlik's policy regarding this is that Qlik will support the feature as long as Microsoft supports it. So your question is more suited for Microsoft in how long will IE Mode be supported for use within the Edge browser.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode.

Best Regards

PanagiotisPom
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hello @Chip_Matejowsky ,

Thank you for your answer. I understand that the support of IE plugin is related with the support by Microsoft. My consideration is however more technical. I am just wondering if this feature (IE mode of Microsoft Edge) actually requires that the IE browser is installed at the same time, or if the feature is still available without the need of original Internet Explorer browser.

I have read that this capability (IE mode of Microsoft Edge) is offered for the next 8-9 months so the users have enough time to proceed by upgrading their current legacy technologies. Right now I can't find the respective link to attach as reference.

Again, thank you for your time.

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Based upon https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode, I don't see it stated that Internet Explorer is required to be installed concurrently with Edge.  Qlik's IE plugin is base on ActiveX technology which is no longer present in Edge. Suggest you start migrating over to the AJAX client if you haven't already done so.  You're welcome to submit feature requests to Qlik to make specific product requests. Refer to article How to Submit Feature Requests for Qlik Products for the steps.  Thanks!

Best Regards

PanagiotisPom
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I really appreciate your answers and your time. 

I will consider all of your helpful suggestions while studying in-depth the current documentation from MS as you attached.

Thank you again,

Panagiotis

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@PanagiotisPom 

I'm curious where you read this "I have read that this capability (IE mode of Microsoft Edge) is offered for the next 8-9 months so the users have enough time to proceed by upgrading their current legacy technologies"

I can only find that it will be supported until 2029

from https://docs.microsoft.com/

"Customers are encouraged to move to Microsoft Edge with IE mode. IE mode enables backward compatibility and will be supported through at least 2029."

PanagiotisPom
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi @Maria_Halley 

You are right, I misspecified the duration. It is true that the support of IE capability feature of Microsoft Edge is planned until 2029.

Lifecycle FAQ - Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge | Microsoft Docs

Thank you.

sebastianQlik
Contributor III
Contributor III

hi @Maria_Halley , hi @Chip_Matejowsky 

thanks for your input!

the IE mode in Edge Browser will be supported until 2029. That's a fact!

But what about the Qlik IE plug-in? Will there be a corresponding IE plug-in for the next QlikView versions (> May 2022 12.70) or is Qlik planning to end support?

Thanks!

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @sebastianQlik,

The below matrix is from the QlikView May 2022 (12.70) System Requirements. As you can see the IE Plugin is supported in Edge when running in IE mode.

QV1270browsersupport.png

Best Regards

sebastianQlik
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi @Chip_Matejowsky 

ok thanks. 

do you know if the IE Plugin is also supported in future QlikView versions (e.g. May 2023??) together with IE mode in Edge?

regards, Sebastian