Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronnywaage
Contributor III
Contributor III

QlikView License management - best practice

Hi

Can someone provide us with a good link to documentation about license management for QlikView.

We are a large company with many QV users, but QV is not a corporate tool, so there are many who not use QV in our organization. 

Currently we are using only named licenses. But now we are running out of licenses so we are consider alternative setups. 

Named licenses: I thought that they were released after 30 days. At least that is that what I recall from version 11.2. Is this not true anymore? If a user gets a named license is it then bound to the users for "life"? E.g if the user moves to another department not using QV. Is this license still bound to this user and cannot be released for others?

Below is what I have found so far: No 1 & 2 make sense. But if a very infrequent user are connecting to QV, will this user then take a named CAL and block it forever?

1. If there is a dedicated Named User CAL for the connecting client, it is used.
2. If there is a dedicated Document CAL for the connecting client, it is used.
3. If a new Named User CAL can be assigned to the connecting client, it is used.
4. If a new Document CAL can be assigned to the connecting client, it is used.
5. If there is an available Session CAL, it is used.
6. If there is an available Usage CAL, it is used.
7. If none of the above, access is denied.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello again!

I think I am going to be updating this article after our discussion, since it seems to be missing a clarifying link to our entire License Agreement.

The License Agreement itself you can find on our website, right here. QlikView is on the right handside, but here's a direct link to the (current) PDF.

This is the bit that you are probably interested in: 

" Named and Document CALs are assigned to an identified user and may not be transferred to another user unless the transfer is due to a i) termination of employment, or ii) a transfer of the user to a new business unit or group resulting in no access to the Qlik Software. When a Named User or Document CAL is transferred, there is a 7-day quarantine before the CAL can be used by another user. "

So, yes. As you said yourself, generally speaking they are bound to one user permanently. If you have more detailed questions around any agreements that your account has, I'd recommend getting in touch with your account manager directly. 

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂

View solution in original post

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Only Named User CALs can be used to lease a license. Document CALs cannot. See License Lease (kb 000002480) for details.

I'd generally recommend checking out our public KB, it has a lot of valuable information available.

As for the Doc CALs: If a document does not support the CAL type, it would simply not open. Reviewing documents during the development process would be recommended. 

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Named CALs (Document and User) are never released. They are, as per the license agreement, dedicated to the user they were originally assigned to.

I believe you might be confusing this with license leasing, in which a Named CAL is borrowed from the server to license a QlikView Desktop client.  These expire after 30 days and need to be re-leased.

To prevent infrequent users from obtaining either a Named User CAL or Document CAL, it is best to disable dynamic assignment and assign them manually to users. The remaining users could then obtain Session or Usage CALs, whichever you have available.

See this article  (kb: 000003136) for more details around CAL types.

ronnywaage
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Sonja for your quick reply.

First of all, thanks for your clarification of dynamic assignments.

You are right, I am confused with license leasing.

If user A is opening an App via access point he will get a named license. If the user lease a license to his qlikview desktop, will it then be his own Named CAL? 

In the article it says:

A Named User CAL may be transferred to another user pursuant to the software licensing agreement, in which case there is a 7-day quarantine before the Named User CAL can be transferred to another user.

So the general term and conditions is that a named license is for life but if we have a special agreement in our contact with Qlik we can transfer licenses with a 7 days quarantine? 

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello again!

I think I am going to be updating this article after our discussion, since it seems to be missing a clarifying link to our entire License Agreement.

The License Agreement itself you can find on our website, right here. QlikView is on the right handside, but here's a direct link to the (current) PDF.

This is the bit that you are probably interested in: 

" Named and Document CALs are assigned to an identified user and may not be transferred to another user unless the transfer is due to a i) termination of employment, or ii) a transfer of the user to a new business unit or group resulting in no access to the Qlik Software. When a Named User or Document CAL is transferred, there is a 7-day quarantine before the CAL can be used by another user. "

So, yes. As you said yourself, generally speaking they are bound to one user permanently. If you have more detailed questions around any agreements that your account has, I'd recommend getting in touch with your account manager directly. 

ronnywaage
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks again Sonja....

We are in contact with our account manager, and we will have a follow up meeting. I am just preparing for an internal meeting prior to this meeting.

I  think that I have more or less what I need now. Just some final questions.

Is it only Named CAL and Document CAL that can lease licenses to a QlikView Desktop?

Is there a way to check if we are violating the restrictions for the Document CAL with regards to the data model?

I can see you have added details about the details and I will go through them in more detail. 

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Only Named User CALs can be used to lease a license. Document CALs cannot. See License Lease (kb 000002480) for details.

I'd generally recommend checking out our public KB, it has a lot of valuable information available.

As for the Doc CALs: If a document does not support the CAL type, it would simply not open. Reviewing documents during the development process would be recommended.