Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

QlikView Server slower with more CPUs

Hello all,

I have a machine with 1 CPU, 4 cores, 8 system threads and 8 GB RAM which calculates the same graphs in half the time as a machine with 2 CPUs, 8 cores, 32 system threads and 64 GB RAM. Both have QV Server V9 SR5 and neither machine is virtualized.

Has anybody experienced something similar?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Karl

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

Hi,

Try disabling the hyperthreading in CPU . See here http://andpointsbeyond.com/category/qlikview/

"Hyperthreading is designed to help deal with unoptimized applications and the limitations of operating system schedulers. My understanding from the last time that hyperthreading was actively marketed is that QlikView does not benefit and can actually suffer when hyperthreading is enabled. QlikView has highly optimized code and uses it's own threading algorithms to maintain peak performance. Hopefully someone from QlikTech can confirm in the comments that hyperthreading is not advisable.

-Alex

View solution in original post

30 Replies
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

It´s really kind of weird.

Are the CPU´s the same model?

Did you compare the CPU graph while the graph is being calculated?

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

The slow machine runs on Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X7560 @2.27GHz 2.26GHz (2 procesadores)

The other machine runs on Windows 7 Professional with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 820 @ 1.73 1.73 GHz.

My 2 ideas are that is has something to do with the configuration of Windows or something's wrong with the controllers.

Karl

Not applicable

A few things to consider:

- Are the CPU's similar floating point throughput (clock speed is NOT the only comparison)

- Is the memory speed the same

- Is the Bus speed the same

- Is the qlikview process multithreaded - you can gauge this by percent of CPU used

- Is either opsys running 64 bit

Given you have two entirely different machines, a radical performance difference is not at all surprising

csellei
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Are you accessing QlikView via Access Point or Remote Desktop?

Opening the aplication is slower to?

If yes, do you have Windows FireWall active in QlikView Machine?

Windows FireWall in Windows Server 2008: I had an issue some time ago. QlikView Aplications with 200.000 records use to work very slow in a 4 cores machine when accessing via Access Point or opening with QV desktop via Remote Desktop. The solution: allowing ports 80 and 7474 within Windows Firewall.

csellei
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Ups !!!!! I mean port 4747

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

The slower machine has has the following characteristics

Memoria: 1066MHz DDR3 BUS: QPI de 6.4GT/s (No existe bus frontal)
Spec Floating Point rate: SPEC2006 FP_RATE 2 CPU X7560 = 283

I've attached the server architecture.

Regards.

Not applicable

I dont think windows server 2008 sr2 is completely stable for multi-threaded application, have you tried installing windows server 2003?

Regards

Not applicable

Hi,

Try disabling the hyperthreading in CPU . See here http://andpointsbeyond.com/category/qlikview/

"Hyperthreading is designed to help deal with unoptimized applications and the limitations of operating system schedulers. My understanding from the last time that hyperthreading was actively marketed is that QlikView does not benefit and can actually suffer when hyperthreading is enabled. QlikView has highly optimized code and uses it's own threading algorithms to maintain peak performance. Hopefully someone from QlikTech can confirm in the comments that hyperthreading is not advisable.

-Alex

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Thanks, Alex. I'm going to look into hyperthreading.