Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview server Load balancing cluster on the existing environment

Hello Qlik folks, I can't find better material to install the Qlikview server upgrade from single node to Load balancing cluster.

Currently, we have only one Qlikview server (qvsp01) that host all the services Qlikview server , Web server , Publisher & Management Console. We attached the data hard drives to qvsp01 and the shares were created on the these drives for source & user documents folders. We are using AJAX client on the access point.

But we got 2 more servers qvsp02 , qvsp03 and we are planing to modifying the existing architecture and finally we decided to go to below:

QVSP01:

1. Qlikview Distribution Service (Publisher)

2. Qlikview Management Service (QMS API)

Source & user Documents still on the QVSP01

QVSP02 & QVSP03: [Load balancing]

1. Qlikview Server service

2. Qlikview Web server

3. Qlikview directory service.

How can I upgrade the above architecture ? what steps I need to take care of in this upgrade process ?

I can't find this type of upgrade documents in Qlikview server reference manual.

Please help me on this.

16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You will need shared file storage that all 3 servers can access.

Will you be using the file shares on qvsp01 as shared storage also for qvsp02 and qvsp03 ?

Not applicable
Author

Bill, we attached data files on QVSP01 and created the shared folders like below:

\\qvsp01\QVPublic --> User Documents folder

\\qvsp01\QVSource --> Source Documents folder

\\qvsp01\QVData --> QVD Files folder

All these shared folder accessed by qvsp02/p03 with Qlikview Service account "qlikviewprod"

All these shared created on the qvsp01 server F:\ drive.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I'd suggest a dedicated switched VLAN with dedicated NIC's on all 3 servers for your file data network traffic.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

For migrating some suggestions could be :

• Install QV Server on QVSP02 with your new cluster licence, so you have a 1 node cluster
  • Add existing QV Server on QVSP01 into the new cluster, so you now have a 2 node cluster
    • Will need the new cluster licence
  • Carefully check all ok
  • Remove QVSP01 from the cluster and close the service down, so you have a 1 node cluster
  • Install QV Server on QVSP02 with your new cluster licence, so you have a 2 node cluster
  • Uninstall QV Server from QVSP01

• Install QV Web Server on QVSP02 & 03 and do not use for QV Management Service
  • Sort them in QMC

• Keep QV Web Server on QVSP01 and do not use for
  • But use it only for QV Management Service

• Never moved a QV Directory service

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your suggestion Bill. Unfortunately we need submit lot of requests to get NAS drives. The requests only approved if existing environment won't work or unstable.

Is it possible to upgrade with current infrastructure ? what are steps for upgrade process ?

Not applicable
Author

Bill, In the first point, Install QV server  means, I need select custom Install option & check Qlikview server & Web server ?

Our existing server license is also have cluster capability up to 5 nodes . Do we need new license again ?

This is LEF info: NUMBER_OF_CLUSTER_NODES;5;;

Not applicable
Author

Bill,

I installed the Qlikview server on QVSP02 but how can I load balance the access point ?

I am using Qlikview web server not IIS.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

A few remarks on what I think Bill was explaining (I may have misread it)

• The QMS includes its own web server, you don't need a QVWS (or IIS) to navigate to the QMC. So the machine with QMS installed won't need a separate web server.
  • However how exactly are you going to do load balancing? The load balancing is usually done by a single QVWS (has builtin features to do that) that forwards each user from the AP to the QVS machine that a) can deliver the required document, and that b) has not much to do at the moment. If you install two web servers, you'll get two URLs to navigate to which isn't particularly user friendly

If you want a fully fail-safe set-up, you can install two QVWS but then you'll need a network load balancer (device) to direct users to the proper QVWS.

Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The AP doesn't need load balancing as it's a simple web site that serves static pages.