Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

RAM Usage in QlikviewServer

Dear All,

I have few queries regarding server RAM Usage as our server RAM utilization is gradually increasing.

we are using Qlikvew 11.2 and we do not have publisher.

We are having 5 dashboards deployed in server altogeather the size of the all Dashboards are less than 20 MB. and we are having users around 40. But concurrent users are less than 10.

we are having 8 GB RAM. which is quite sufficient when I calculate the required RAM using "Qlikview Server RAM Calculator spread sheet".

Follwing are the Clarifications I wanted to understand.

1. Does QV server load All the Dashboards to RAM which ever is available in User documents mapping folder even though users are not using? or Only Loads the QVWs to RAM which are opened by users currently?

2. what is Minimum RAM required to run the Qlikview Enterprise server service(without single QVW in server, which menas emty setup of QV server)?

3. With our 5 QVWs , we may requied less than 400 MB RAM(calculated based on RAM Calculator). But why our server is consuming more than 3 GB ? (Last month RAM Consumption was 2 GB and this Month it is 3 GB.)

4. Recently we have setup the LDAP (earlier we are using custom Authentication). After that I can see the RAM Usage more(Analyzed using Governance Dashboard)?

5. Most Importent thing I want to know is , How do I Know In detail usage of my 3 GB consumption of RAM? Is there any utillity available to analyze this?

Please find the below capture of RAM Usage from System Monitor Utility.

Many Many Thanks in Advance...

Best Regards,

Chinna

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

HI,

1. Does QV server load All the Dashboards to RAM which ever is available in User documents mapping folder even though users are not using? or Only Loads the QVWs to RAM which are opened by users currently? No, only when the document is open.

2. what is Minimum RAM required to run the Qlikview Enterprise server service(without single QVW in server, which menas emty setup of QV server)? Somewhere around 6-8 meg

3. With our 5 QVWs , we may requied less than 400 MB RAM(calculated based on RAM Calculator). But why our server is consuming more than 3 GB ? (Last month RAM Consumption was 2 GB and this Month it is 3 GB.)

Lets look at this. Look at the closed size of the QVW and lets say it is 100mb. When it is open on server it will grow by So, server memory will be around 400mb. For each users that comes into the document the memory will grow by 10% . S, if you have 10 users that would be 400mb. So, the open document memory would be 800mb. Now this does take into the users click as they go through the document. With that you will see the memory spike as users use the qvw. Also, as more data is added to the QVW the memory will grow.

4. Recently we have setup the LDAP (earlier we are using custom Authentication). After that I can see the RAM Usage more(Analyzed using Governance Dashboard)? Yes, the LDAP information is cached.

One thing you have to watch for is poorly designed QVW. This could be the backend or dashboard design, if not done properly they can use a lot of memory.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II

Hi Chinna,

Your query is vague.

Go through this manual. You will able to get all the details.

QlikView Server Reference Manual

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Bro,

Above queries are under practical arises..not from the theory we may solve it..?

Nothing Uncertain or unclear....in above post..

BR,

Chinna

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Neetha,

Thank you for the response. I have already analyzed Governance Dashboard. I couldn't analyze the cache statistics.

however, "RAM usage high" thread by @tresesco  in your response cleared most of my queries Except below:

1. Does QV server load All the published QVWs to RAM by default? or Only Loads the QVWs to RAM which are opened by users currently?

BR,

Chinna

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Chinna,

Check this link Qlikview automatically clear the cache, it is not possible by user and Dashboard.

The QlikView Cache

Regards,

Jagan.

avinashelite

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

‌It is normal for RAM usage to grow over time, as this is QV filling the cache. Nothing gets removed from cache until the working set limits (QMC Performance tab) are reached.

Using a spreadsheet formula to get a rough approximation of requirements is fine for pre sales. But once you have actual QVW files, there are several more accurate methods available.

- Using Windows task manager, note the delta in virtual memory for QV.exe after opening the document in desktop. This will not provide the per user cost though.

- Use Document Analyzer on each document. This will provide the ram requirement for the document and the per user increment.

Qlikview Cookbook: QV Document Analyzer http://qlikviewcookbook.com/recipes/download-info/document-analyzer/

- Use QV Optimizer (search this site) for results similar to Document Analyzer.

-Rob

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Chinna,

QVWs are loaded into RAM only when users accessed the Dashboard, by default it will not be in RAM.  Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Chinna,

Please see below post:

Re: in-memory load