cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dawgfather
Creator
Creator

Replacing hard drive and accessing old QV files

I need to replace my hard drive as it is beginning to fail but I am worried that I will not be able to access my old QV desktop files.

Is there any way that after the replacement, using QlikView Desktop, that I can still access all my old files? 

Are there any steps to take prior to an hard drive upgrade to make them accessible again?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @dawgfather,

I assume you are using the QlikView Desktop Personal Edition and not a licensed version?  The Qlik Support article QlikView Personal Edition FAQ provides some key information regarding the QV Desktop PE Document Recovery process.  The QlikView online Help also has some useful information:  QlikView Personal Edition 

Hopefully this information will help you.

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!

View solution in original post

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

The 4 recoveries refers to changing machines 4 times, not 4 documents.

Can you also double check  if it actually say "personal edition" when you open QlikView desktop?

If it does not, you have a licensed version.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Lucas_Gatling
Support
Support

Do you have an external hard drive or USB drive that you can copy your QVW files to? Or a cloud drive you can copy your QVW files to?

If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution.
dawgfather
Creator
Creator
Author

I can store the QV files on an external...I am worried that after I replace the hard drive and reinstall QlikView, that it will think I am a different person and not let me open my old files. 

I recall that when you first installed QV then it said you could open 3 files that were not your own and that was all. If this tells me that, then I am in a world of hurt with weekly extracts saved for the past year or two.

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @dawgfather,

I assume you are using the QlikView Desktop Personal Edition and not a licensed version?  The Qlik Support article QlikView Personal Edition FAQ provides some key information regarding the QV Desktop PE Document Recovery process.  The QlikView online Help also has some useful information:  QlikView Personal Edition 

Hopefully this information will help you.

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
dawgfather
Creator
Creator
Author

Chip - you are correct. It's a desktop edition - so "personal" I suppose. Thank you for the FAQ piece. From that it appears as if there is a process for me to refresh my hard drive or even my laptop and then install/re-install QV on it. But it then sounds like I am limited to only be able to "recover" 4 of my reports. Do I read that correctly?

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

The 4 recoveries refers to changing machines 4 times, not 4 documents.

Can you also double check  if it actually say "personal edition" when you open QlikView desktop?

If it does not, you have a licensed version.