Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nstefaniuk
Creator III
Creator III

[SR10] How are calculated concurrent accesses

Hello.

I would like to know how are calculated concurrent accesses to estimate the concurrent licenses I need to buy.

For example I have 10 concurrent licenses and 10 Named CAL for developers.

If I open document1 with IE plugin it counts 1 session

If I open document2 with IE plugin it counts 1 session more

If I open again document2 with IE plugin, in other window, it counts 1 session more

If I open document3 with ajax it counts 1 session more

If I open document3 10 times with ajax it counts no more session

If I close my document opened with IE plugin the session is removed immediately

If I close my document opened with Ajax the session stays alive (for the timeout duration I guess)

As far as I know, a session is counted as "alived" 15mn after it ends (to avoid high frequency use of concurrent licenses)

So my questions are:

- does Qlikview block access when 10 concurrent sessions are opened or when 10 distinct users have created sessions ?

- In the case Qlikview look at sessions and not distinct users, does the IE plugin multiple sessions count ? So A user can lock the server just opening 10 times the same document?

- Does Qlikview count the Named CAL in the concurrent sessions / users ?

- If not, it means that Named CAL users could open several sessions without blocking concurrent users? I mean, if the 10 Named CAL users are logged in, the concurrent users are blocked or they can log in ?

- If the server is blocked because the 10 concurrent sessions are in use, can the Named CAL users log in ?

Thanks for your help

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the session cal definition from the reference manual:

A Session CAL allows any user, identified or anonymous/unidentified, on one QlikView client to access as many QlikView documents as may reside on the server or server cluster to which the Session CAL is assigned for a minimum period of 15 minutes. For Session CALs, the QlikView client refers to each unique instance of the QlikView client (for example, the AJAX client, QlikView Desktop, or the Internet Explorer plugin) on the user’s machine. The minimum session time for a Session CAL is 15 minutes, which means that sessions that end in less than 15 minutes will still consume the session until the 15 minute mark is passed; those which terminate after 15 minutes will consume their actual session length. By default, there is no maximum session length, but this can be configured.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The named cal users can open any amount of sessions without blocking the session cals.

If dynamic cal allocation is on, the named cals will be assigned first but if you lock down the named cal allocation, or no more named cals are available, QVS will hand out session cals which are just that, one per session.

The Ajax client has a Close button in the top right corner to kill the session immidiately, if the browser window is closed the session will be timed out after a little while.

A named CAL user can always log in.

nstefaniuk
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Ok thanks, but do you know on which count is the restriction ? Distinct users or sessions ?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the session cal definition from the reference manual:

A Session CAL allows any user, identified or anonymous/unidentified, on one QlikView client to access as many QlikView documents as may reside on the server or server cluster to which the Session CAL is assigned for a minimum period of 15 minutes. For Session CALs, the QlikView client refers to each unique instance of the QlikView client (for example, the AJAX client, QlikView Desktop, or the Internet Explorer plugin) on the user’s machine. The minimum session time for a Session CAL is 15 minutes, which means that sessions that end in less than 15 minutes will still consume the session until the 15 minute mark is passed; those which terminate after 15 minutes will consume their actual session length. By default, there is no maximum session length, but this can be configured.

nstefaniuk
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks a lot.

I can't find this text in my documents (QlikView Server Reference Manual.pdf and QlikView Reference Manual.pdf) so I trust you on this point. What is the document you used please?

In QlikView Server Reference Manual.pdf I have found more clarifications so I think I have all elements to work on my licenses.

Thanks

Not applicable

HI Johannes

I am working on an assignment where I need to build a report to highlight the number of sessions used by the anonymous users(max limit is 20). Is there any way to build such report..  PLs guide