Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m_woolf
Master II
Master II

Tunneler error after installing QV Plugin 12.4

We are planning on upgrading from QV12.1 SR8 to QV12.4 SR1.

We will upgrade our test enviroment first and then ask some of our users to test their applications. These users will need to install the 12.4 plugin to do testing.

I wondered how that would effect their ability to then work in our 12.1 production environment.

As a test, I installed the 12.4 plugin on my local computer and tried to open an app from our production server (12.1). I'm getting an error "...tunneler...could not be opened."

I uninstalled the 12.4 plugin and reinstalled the 12.1 plugin. I'm still getting the "tunneler" error. I'm getting that error on both our test and production accesspoints.

I've read various posts about this error. I have deleted the TicketData.pgo files with no effect.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @m_woolf,

I was able to reproduce the "tunneler.dll" error you are experiencing in my lab environment. I set up a QVS server running 12.10.20600 on a Windows Server and a QlikView Desktop client running on a Windows 10 desktop. I tested by opening AccessPoint on the Windows 10 desktop and successfully connected to a QVW using the IE Plugin client, v12.10.20600.

I then installed IE Plugin v12.40, while keeping the QV Desktop v12.10.20600 client installed. When attempting to open a QVW from AP using IE Plugin, I received the "tunneler.dll"error and the IE Plugin client showed the version mismatch. This is what I expected.

Like you, I uninstalled the IE Plugin 12.40 client, rebooted the computer and then installed the IE Plugin 12.10.20600 client, again while keeping the QV Desktop v12.10.20600 client installed. Upon testing connecting to a QVW, I received the "tunneler.dll" error and the log showed the version mismatch. This looks to be a defect.

A work around I found was to ensure both IE Plugin client and QV Desktop client are uninstalled and the computer rebooted. I then installed QV Desktop v12.10.20600 client (which I stated earlier in the thread also installs the IE Plugin client) and was then able to successfully connect to a QVW using IE Plugin. The log showed no version mismatch.

Another work around you can use if you don't have QV Desktop installed is to first uninstall IE Plugin v12.40., then rename the %ProgramData%\QlikTech folder to something like "QlikTech.old". Then install the IE Plugin v12.10.20600 so that it matches the QVS version.

If you haven't already done so, suggest that you contact Qlik Support to open a case for this issue. The assigned engineer can report a potential product defect to our R&D team to be addressed. In the meantime, please try the above work arounds.

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @m_woolf,

The build versions of the IE Plugin need to match that of the QlikView Server. If they do not, then you'll likely run into issues.  Also, "tunneler.dll" related errors when using IE Plugin are typically associated with port 4747 not being open on the clients, so need to ensure that this port is opened up. If you still experience issues after ensuring the above two points have been addressed then suggest you enable client-side extended logging for the IE Plugin. Refer to the Qlik Support article "How-to enable Extended Error logging in QlikView Desktop or Internet Explorer Plugin" on how to get this configured and where the output is located. Then review the logs and provide them in this thread if you have questions.

m_woolf
Master II
Master II
Author

Here is the log:
2019-09-06 14:23:39 Warning Connect c:\jws\engine-common-ws\src\qvbackendandqvcommon\cryptacquire.cpp 97 Could not CryptSetProvParam 1008 An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.
2019-09-06 14:23:39 Info Connect c:\jws\engine-common-ws\src\qvfrontend\qvfrontendcontext.cpp 497 Negotiating string: "<?xml version="1.0"?><prot>qvp<dpi wanted="false">96 96</dpi><iis_authenticate/><encrypted wanted="true" algorithm="aes"/><gzip/><balanced/><build>50611</build><machine_id>MyMachineName [Some Coded machine info]</machine_id><Client_Build_Version_String>12.40.20100.0</Client_Build_Version_String><any_username>MyUsedID</any_username></prot>" 0
2019-09-06 14:23:39 Info Connect c:\jws\engine-common-ws\src\qvfrontend\qvfrontendcontext.cpp 171 Server negotiation string: "<?xml version="1.0"?><prot>qvp<iis_authenticate/><encrypted algorithm="aes"/><gzip/><balanced/><license_needed/><build>50506</build><session>a3527cea-42a2-4f4a-9c93-4950891662a0</session><qvserverversion>12.10.20600.0</qvserverversion></prot>" 0
2019-09-06 14:23:39 Info Connect c:\jws\engine-common-ws\src\qvfrontend\qvfrontendcontext.cpp 171 Server negotiation string: "<?xml version="1.0"?><eof/>" 0
2019-09-06 14:23:39 Info Connect c:\jws\engine-common-ws\src\qvfrontend\qvfrontendcontext.cpp 273 Bypassing authentication 0
2019-09-06 14:23:39 Info Connect c:\jws\engine-common-ws\src\qvfrontend\qvfrontendcontext.cpp 327 Secure (crypto) packet arrived 0
2019-09-06 14:23:39 Info Connect c:\jws\engine-common-ws\src\qvfrontend\qvfrontendcontext.cpp 341 Sending IIS authentication request: "FB75DF2657324E010DC4F6EDCAFB606FD8287B45" 0
2019-09-06 14:23:39 Info Connect c:\jws\engine-common-ws\src\qvfrontend\qvfrontendcontext.cpp 366 Iis Authenticate reply packet arrived 0
2019-09-06 14:23:39 Info Connect c:\jws\engine-common-ws\src\qvfrontend\qvfrontendcontext.cpp 369 Session established OK 0

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @m_woolf,

The log you provided shows these two entries which indicate that the client build version of IE Plugin doesn't match the build version of the QVS:

2019-09-06 14:23:39 Info Connect c:\jws\engine-common-ws\src\qvfrontend\qvfrontendcontext.cpp 497 Negotiating string: "<?xml version="1.0"?><prot>qvp<dpi wanted="false">96 96</dpi><iis_authenticate/><encrypted wanted="true" algorithm="aes"/><gzip/><balanced/><build>50611</build><machine_id>MyMachineName [Some Coded machine info]</machine_id><Client_Build_Version_String>12.40.20100.0</Client_Build_Version_String><any_username>MyUsedID</any_username></prot>" 0
2019-09-06 14:23:39 Info Connect c:\jws\engine-common-ws\src\qvfrontend\qvfrontendcontext.cpp 171 Server negotiation string: "<?xml version="1.0"?><prot>qvp<iis_authenticate/><encrypted algorithm="aes"/><gzip/><balanced/><license_needed/><build>50506</build><session>a3527cea-42a2-4f4a-9c93-4950891662a0</session><qvserverversion>12.10.20600.0</qvserverversion></prot>" 0

So would suggest you try uninstalling the 12.40 version IE Plugin client and QlikView Desktop (if it is installed as well) and install the same build version as the QVS - 12.10.20600

m_woolf
Master II
Master II
Author

I have already uninstalled the 12.4 plugin and reinstalled the 12.1 plugin. I never installed the 12.4 client.

Should I uninstall the 12.1 client and reinstall?

We are going to have a few dozen business users testing their QV apps in our test environment with 12.4. That testing will last for several weeks. During that time they will also need to access the QV apps in our production environment (12.1). How can we manage their moving between the test environment and the production environment?

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

As we can see, the IE Plugin log indicates a client version of 12.10.20600, so that is what I'm going by here.

Check to see if QlikView Desktop v12.10.20600 is also installed on this computer. If QV Desktop is installed it, by default, also installs the IE Plugin client of the QV Desktop version.  So you would need to uninstall QV Desktop and ensure that only the version of IE Plugin which matches the QVS version is installed.

One way you could test the newer IE Plugin client against the 12.40 QVS would be to virtualize a Windows Desktop environment. This will allow maintaining the user's current computer's installation of IE Plugin 12.10 to match the production QVS environment.

m_woolf
Master II
Master II
Author

I uninstalled the 12.1 Client and reinstalled it. Then I restarted my computer.

I still get the tunneler error and the log file still says "Client_Build_Version_String>12.40.20100.0"

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @m_woolf,

I was able to reproduce the "tunneler.dll" error you are experiencing in my lab environment. I set up a QVS server running 12.10.20600 on a Windows Server and a QlikView Desktop client running on a Windows 10 desktop. I tested by opening AccessPoint on the Windows 10 desktop and successfully connected to a QVW using the IE Plugin client, v12.10.20600.

I then installed IE Plugin v12.40, while keeping the QV Desktop v12.10.20600 client installed. When attempting to open a QVW from AP using IE Plugin, I received the "tunneler.dll"error and the IE Plugin client showed the version mismatch. This is what I expected.

Like you, I uninstalled the IE Plugin 12.40 client, rebooted the computer and then installed the IE Plugin 12.10.20600 client, again while keeping the QV Desktop v12.10.20600 client installed. Upon testing connecting to a QVW, I received the "tunneler.dll" error and the log showed the version mismatch. This looks to be a defect.

A work around I found was to ensure both IE Plugin client and QV Desktop client are uninstalled and the computer rebooted. I then installed QV Desktop v12.10.20600 client (which I stated earlier in the thread also installs the IE Plugin client) and was then able to successfully connect to a QVW using IE Plugin. The log showed no version mismatch.

Another work around you can use if you don't have QV Desktop installed is to first uninstall IE Plugin v12.40., then rename the %ProgramData%\QlikTech folder to something like "QlikTech.old". Then install the IE Plugin v12.10.20600 so that it matches the QVS version.

If you haven't already done so, suggest that you contact Qlik Support to open a case for this issue. The assigned engineer can report a potential product defect to our R&D team to be addressed. In the meantime, please try the above work arounds.

m_woolf
Master II
Master II
Author

Chip,

That's for all your help. We installed 12.4 SR1 on our text servers today with only minor issues. After installation we found that a person who has the older 12.1 plugin installed can open apps from the 12.4 server with the plugin with no apparent problems.

We have decided to setup virtual machines for the test users, so that they won't experience any issues going between our test and production environments.