Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhsharm5
Contributor III
Contributor III

Upgrading QlikView Server without impacting NPrinting

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade our QlikView servers from the existing version 12.30 (Nov 2018) to 12.40 (April 2019). We have three different QlikView environments for three regions. However, just one instance of NPrinting which caters to all the three regions.

If we plan the upgrade QlikView servers region wise on different dates, it is going to impact the NPrinting reports (due to mismatch between QlikView server version and the QlikView desktop installed on NPrinting server). And it's a bit tricky to push all the upgrades on all the servers on the same day.

Could anyone please tell if there's any way we can plan our upgrade region wise on different dates, and still not impact NPrinting.

Regards,

Bhaskar

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP

Yes you will probably have issues with NPrinting if you are opening the applications on server. If you are accessing the qvw as a local file you might get off easier. 

Nprinting checks if the client is compatible with the server or not , so NPrinting tried to access a 12.4 server using 12.3 you will probably get an error.

A way around this could be to do the NPrinting QV desktop first. My experience is that a upgraded desktop is more likely to succeed accessing an older environment. So my tip is to try to upgrade the desktop on the NPrinting environment first, then check if the reports still are running correctly. When verified then preform your server upgrades one by one.

Good luck

Vegar

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

Yes you will probably have issues with NPrinting if you are opening the applications on server. If you are accessing the qvw as a local file you might get off easier. 

Nprinting checks if the client is compatible with the server or not , so NPrinting tried to access a 12.4 server using 12.3 you will probably get an error.

A way around this could be to do the NPrinting QV desktop first. My experience is that a upgraded desktop is more likely to succeed accessing an older environment. So my tip is to try to upgrade the desktop on the NPrinting environment first, then check if the reports still are running correctly. When verified then preform your server upgrades one by one.

Good luck

Vegar

bhsharm5
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I tried that as well. Doesn't work - NPrinting gives QlikView Server and Desktop version mismatch error.

Another thing I noticed is that while opening a QlikView document in the NPrinting Server (with QV desktop version 12.40) using qvp protocol from another QlikView server (version 12.30), it just hangs, doesn't show any of the tabs, or can't click anywhere - the document just hangs. Looks like that's what causing the NP task failures.

Any idea if there was some bug for opening old QV documents in version 12.40 using qvp!! The version I am using is 12.40 SR4

Regards,

Bhaskar