Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X314
Contributor II
Contributor II

Using personal ecition, got a new computer

Hi,

I have been using QlikView personal edition and created a quite strong and detailed reporting regime for my data. 

Now I got a new computer and I realize that I cannot open my files as they have been created on a different computer...

Is there anything I can do to work around this restriction? I still have access to my old computer and the setup there, but it would take me weeks to copy all scripts and recreate all objects etc.

Best regards 

Espen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
X314
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

@Maria_Halley 
Thank you for all your assistance, I did try to turn on the logging, could not find the log file in my Documents folder.

At the same time I have had multiple discussions with our IT guy, and I also contacted a QlikView developer team in Oslo, and we've decided to stay on the old computer for a week or two and then buy a Qlik Sense Saas license or two.

Have a nice weekend.

Best regards
Espen

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@X314 

Hi, 

You can open your document in the new install. You can change computer 5 times before you get "locked out"

see

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Knowledge/QlikView-Personal-Edition-FAQ/ta-p/1711127

X314
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi 

Thank you for the link, I have ended up trying to do a document recovery as specified in this article:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Knowledge/How-to-recover-Layout-and-Script-from-a-corrupt-QlikView/ta-...

But the wheel is just spinning... I know that a few times some of my files has been corrupted and I might have used some recovery attempts during the last 4 years of developing... 

Is there any way to check if I have used all 4 attempts? 

Best regards

Espen

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@X314 

You said you have access to the old machine. Does the document open there?

Are you using the same version of QlikView on both machines? 

Can you create and open new documents?

I am actually not sure if you can see how many recoveries you have left. 

X314
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi,

I have my old computer open, and yes I can access the files there. I have them stored in "My  Documents" as a QDF structure. I made a copy of the structure and moved it to my new computer.

Both machines have the same version from 2018. Version 12.30.20000.0 

I can create new documents. But trying to open some of the old ones I get an error message saying it fails to open.

I'm getting a bit stressed, I run so many of my reports at work using QlikView.

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@X314 

If you create a new document in the old machine. Just a very small test document with almost no data.

Can you move and open that?

Also what does the error say exactly?

X314
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I created a testfile on my old computer, saved it and copied over to my new computer. Getting the same error message:

X314_0-1634802653285.png

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@X314 

Is N: A local disk? If not can you copy it to a local dis and try? Make sure you have full rights to the file.

X314
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Yes you are right, it's a server location, but all other files have been in "My Documents"

I cannot see anything else that I have full rights on the file:

X314_1-1634813404160.png

I tried moving the file, got the same error again... Disscussed the issue with our IT guy, a possible solution could be to clone the disk in my old computer... 

X314_0-1634813249876.png

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

Are you using the same OS for both machines?