Qlik Community

Ask a Question

QlikView Administration

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Management.

Announcements
Support Cases coming to Qlik Community Oct. 4! Start chats, open cases, explore resources: READ DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marvin
Contributor II
Contributor II

problem with ie plug-in and iss_authenticate

Hello

We are still using novmenber 2017 sr5. We are working for uppgradering and I downloaded desktop version April 2020 sr4 and installed that on my computer.  After that I can't open application on access point, instead I get message iis_authenticate  could not be open. I read that desktop and plug-in must be of same version so I removied desktop version April 2020 and installd desktop version november 2017 sr5. I have removed plug-in and installed it again. But I get same result when I open a application in access point iis_authenticate could not be open. 

 

I can't upgrade publisher and plug-in nearest month.

Have any one I solution to my problem? 

Labels (1)
  • Other

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marvin
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

What I did was to clean all register from the new version of desktop and the plug-in start to work

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @marvin,

If you could, please attach a screen shot of the error you are receiving.  Based upon your description, Qlik Support article Error Message "could not be opened" When Accessing QlikView Document Through Internet Explorer (IE) ... looks like it may be relevant.  Please review the article and post back if there are further questions.  

Best Regards

Sr. Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
Albert_Candelario

Hello @marvin ,

Is the access point added as Trust site on the IE settings. If the issue is only related to such user I would suggest to ensure that, so nothing is being blocked by the browser.

Cheers!

Please, remember to mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer
marvin
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

What I did was to clean all register from the new version of desktop and the plug-in start to work

View solution in original post