Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aeveltstra
Contributor III
Contributor III

qlikview client hangs when opening document via "open in server", but not when opening from recent / favorites

Hello! We have 1 remote-working employee whose QlikView client recently stopped being able to open a document they have been using for years.

Their client version and our server version match: April 2020, SR2. Other people have no problem opening the same document, both from remote working locations and in-office. Our server is accessible only through corporate VPN, which means the user must be authenticated already. Qlik authentication is set to use network authentication.

Here's the catch: if the same document gets opened from the list of recent documents or favorites, it works. But if it gets opened via "open in server," the client hangs and refuses to open the document. The user does see the list of documents available on the server, but cannot open the document available to them: the client will hang and never open the document.

We have:

- updated the employee's computer;

- reinstalled the QlikView client;

- rebooted the QlikView server;

- doublechecked the user's access privileges;

- doublechecked the user's user CAL.

How do we go about fixing this, or even investigating what is going on?

Thank you!

Labels (2)
8 Replies
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @aeveltstra,

That is indeed a strange QlikView Desktop issue. It sounds as if there's a network issue between the client's laptop, the VPN and the QlikView Server.

This issue is occurring with only one specific QVW? All QVWs?

Can this employee open other QVW files in QlikView Desktop remotely, using the Open in Server method?

Can this employee open the QVW using Open in Server if they are in the office?

QlikView Desktop Open in Server functionality communicates to the QlikView Server using the QlikView Protocol (QVP) over port 4747. Is port 4747 open on the customer's laptop? You can use PowerShell or Telnet to check. See the following articles:

When this user opens QVWs via the Recent list, are they able to open QVWs with qvp:// preceding the QVW file? Or are they opening locally stored QVW files?

2023-05-04 12_00_52-QlikView x64 - [Start Page].png

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
aeveltstra
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you for those suggestions! We will look into.

marcus_sommer

Just a hint for possible reasons. I could imagine that the EOL from the IE browser and/or some changed security settings may prevent the communication by regarding it now as insecure connection.

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @aeveltstra,

Can you provide an update on this issue? Were you able to get it resolved? Thanks!

Best Regards

aeveltstra
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hello!

No, I never got this to resolve. Worse: it now is happening to me, too. I have a user-assigned CAL and am the server admin.

marcus_sommer

I think something new/changed within your network breaks the communication between client and server - things like firewall & group policies but also proxies and load-balancer and similar stuff. I could imagine that the various log-files from QlikView and the OS could provide some hints. Also asking the network IT guys in your company what might have been changed might be reducing any possible causes.

If the above didn't worked to identify the reason you may consider to apply tools like wireshark to follow the communication on an atomar level ...

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @aeveltstra,

What is the version of QlikView Desktop and the version of QlikView Server that you are attempting to connect to to lease license?

Best Regards

NadiaB
Support
Support

Hi @aeveltstra 

Did you have the chance to look into @Chip_Matejowsky 's suggestions?

Kind Regards. 

Don't forget to mark as "Solution Accepted" the comment that resolves the question/issue. #ngm