Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ankitg4688
Contributor III
Contributor III

About Data in Qlikview

Hi,

I had few questions about data movement in Qlikview.

1. When user opens access point link on Personal machine where does data resides? On server's RAM or downloaded on User's Ram?

2. How does the control flow from Client to Server and also the data? In short the process?

3. My QVW size is 3.5 Gb including data. When QVW opens in RAM how much RAM will be consumed?

4. If my QVW size is 3.5 Gb, what should be the ideal size of RAM required?

5. How many users can access Access point link at the same time? Does too many users using same app bring down the speed and performance?

6. Can we control user count if all are accessing same application at the same time?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Br,

Ankit

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

1) When you go to Access Point youre running the app at the server. So data consumes RAM on the server and only what is needed for visualization by the browser on the client.

2) User clicks in the UI and the server responds to this by applying app logic which affects the underlying data model which most often leads to recalculations and the UI is rendered partly on the server using advanced cache mechanisms and the result is sent back as graphics and HTML. So only the data that is needed for visualization is sent back to the client each time.

3) How much it will expand to in memory compared to the QVW depends on the data itself. It could become 2 to 4 times more in memory compared to the QVW on disk.

4) To have a margin I would say 3 to 4 times. For each concurrent user you can add ~10% overhead memory wise.

5) That is limited by your licenses, the amount of RAM and the number of CPUs and their speed and cores and lastly and very importantly how your application and it's data model has been built. And yes many users will bring down the speed and performance - it would defy the laws of physics otherwise. However QlikView scales extremely well and make very good use of the hardware.

6) There is AFAIK no way of limiting the number of users of a particular application.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

1) When you go to Access Point youre running the app at the server. So data consumes RAM on the server and only what is needed for visualization by the browser on the client.

2) User clicks in the UI and the server responds to this by applying app logic which affects the underlying data model which most often leads to recalculations and the UI is rendered partly on the server using advanced cache mechanisms and the result is sent back as graphics and HTML. So only the data that is needed for visualization is sent back to the client each time.

3) How much it will expand to in memory compared to the QVW depends on the data itself. It could become 2 to 4 times more in memory compared to the QVW on disk.

4) To have a margin I would say 3 to 4 times. For each concurrent user you can add ~10% overhead memory wise.

5) That is limited by your licenses, the amount of RAM and the number of CPUs and their speed and cores and lastly and very importantly how your application and it's data model has been built. And yes many users will bring down the speed and performance - it would defy the laws of physics otherwise. However QlikView scales extremely well and make very good use of the hardware.

6) There is AFAIK no way of limiting the number of users of a particular application.

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Good Job !!!

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
ankitg4688
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Petter,

Thanks for sharing valuable information. I will come back with more questions as I advance in Qlikview.

Br,

Ankit

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You're welcome.

Please close off the thread by marking the question answered.