Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Above Function - Not working as I aspect

In this example i have 2 identic pivot table.

The 2nd has 3rd dimension expanded and above doesn't work, why?

Maybe i'm tired and don't see this thing .

Thanks to all.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hi Stefano,

yes, that's quite strange looking at first glance. To me, it looks like expanding the node, i.e. the pure visibilty of the dimension affects the column segmentation. Well, reading the HELP about the above functions and other inter chart record functions, I think it should never return you a result, since Location and Time are giving you unique combinations for all rows, building new column segments, right?

(You could see what I am talking about by adding an expression =rowno() and playing around)

I think a workaorund for your needs might be to add an aggr around the above, like

=aggr(above([Event Time]),Location,[Event Time])

Hope this helps,

Stefan

View solution in original post

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hi Stefano,

yes, that's quite strange looking at first glance. To me, it looks like expanding the node, i.e. the pure visibilty of the dimension affects the column segmentation. Well, reading the HELP about the above functions and other inter chart record functions, I think it should never return you a result, since Location and Time are giving you unique combinations for all rows, building new column segments, right?

(You could see what I am talking about by adding an expression =rowno() and playing around)

I think a workaorund for your needs might be to add an aggr around the above, like

=aggr(above([Event Time]),Location,[Event Time])

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Hi Stefan,

rowno() function was been quite clear.

One row of the help says:

The above function without the total qualifier (third column) will only act within each sort group.

I think cause each "Event" is a sort group the above returns null.

Thanks a lot.

Stefano