Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Access_rights - copy files?

Hi,

I have made a mistake in assigning access_rights to users of one of my reports: On the QlikView_Server, there is one directory where all our live apps are stored - and there is a different directory where all of the data_files are stored. I gave them access_rights to just the one - and promptly they ran into issues trying to reload the data locally because the report could not access the data_files ...

To compensate for that, I copied all the data_files into the one directory they had access to and then I edited our primary data_loading apps to store the data_files a second time in that directory.

I have not tested the effect on the performance and running time of that primary data_loading app - but instead of storing one data_file twice, would it not be easier and quicker to just store it once and then use an EXECUTE command and just copy that file?j

Would such a command work at all when the app is executed on the server? Probably not I guess?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

2 Replies
marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

a copy-task triggerred from finishing of the creator-task should be faster as storing a file twice - whereby I think you will need rather large files and/or many files to notice significantly differences.

Beside them I'm not sure if it's necessary and sensible to give the user the possibility of reloading the applications. Wouldn't be better to enable the user to trigger a server-reload: Using EDX in QlikView 11 - basic example.

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Marcus,

yes, that may be - but everything to do with implementing anything on server-side is immensely complicated here because I don't have access to the server, so I'd have to go via our IT dpt. ... I'd rather go this way. I'm always in close contact to all the users of my reports, so I can have a close watch on how they are using them.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Also, I'm not sure that a copying-task would work on the server. I rather think that shell_commands would be forbidden there.