Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rohitians
Creator III
Creator III

Ad-Hoc reporting??

Hello Everyone,

Please help me gain some knowledge about ad-hoc reporting..

Thanks and Regards,

Rohit

4 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi Rohit,

in my experience, ad-hoc-reporting via QlikView is a bit tricky, that is, it is uncompatible with layout_requirements and stuff - managers like nice charts and graphics, but that is something that is difficult to do ad-hoc.

It is relatively easy to build a chart on some data fast, there's nothing specific to it. Just load the data into Qlikview, make a chart and that's it.

Making the whole thing nice (graphics, uniform layout, navigation and such) takes a while.

Generally, when building ad-hoc reports in QlikView, take care to document them and try to find out how long they will be needed, whether it's worthwhile to build a proper layout, when/if it can be deleted/ archived etc.

HTH

Best regards,

DataNibbler

rohitians
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hello,

Can you refer me to some documents which can guide me about it in detail...

Thanks and Regrds,

Rohit

Not applicable

Hey,

Generally as far as ad-hoc reporting goes I generally steer away as far as possible for the very same reasons DataNibbler indicates. One area I have found useful though in revenue reporting is a view I called "make your own" - which essentially is a table with 5 Cycle selectors so that a user can pick Office in column 1, Department in Column 2 and any combo they might like based on the cycle options.

HTH,

Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable

it is an old thread but maybe it will help someone...check the last sheet in "What's new in QV 11" demo - you can emulate ad-hoc reporting. Not pretty and requires some coding, but our users liked it. We extended it with measures, defined in variables, which in turn stored in Excel spreadsheet and loaded in load script. That way you do not need to hardcode expressions and dimension names like they did in QV demo:

http://us.demo.qlik.com/detail.aspx?appName=Whats%20New%20in%20QlikView11.qvw