Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Adding Commentary to a Report

Hi All,

Seems like i'm the unlucky one pushing the formatted financials to you all, all the time. As you are all completing awesome sales apps with flexible data analysis, set analysis, graphs, gauges and animations, i'm trying to complete business objects style formatted general ledger reports (Qlikview's relative weakness). Do I have your empathy sympathy? good.

I would appreciate your help on this one 🙂

I need to produce commentary, linked to a line in a report, and i need it to be stored historically.

See a sample below:

CategoryActualsBudgetVariance% VarianceBudgetNote
Department
Exploration and development0%
Consultancy16301445%385
Freight0%
Legal Fees-83038125%3552
Statutory2519-6-31%2643
Repairs and Maintenance0%
Office costs0%
Other office costs02175%18
Directors Fees1520524%240
Payroll Cost9893-5-6%1,116
IT15370%54
Other Staff Cost-01414100%21
Entertainment13280%41
Insurance613713195%172
Training22100%10
Travel-261844246%242
Marketing11-110%
Motor Vehicle0%
SHEC0%
TOTAL ORDINARY EXPENSES14137223162%2,918
Notes
1. YTD $856k consultancy fees includes expenditure of $500k for Consultancy in relation to CC.
2. MTD negative $8k Legal fees is a reversal of an over accrual in February 10.
3. MTD $25k Statutory fees were higher than forecast due to a $13k payment for listings fees, and a $12k payment to Security Transfers Registrars P/L for share maintenance fees.

For the solution, I've thought of using an input field

i.e.

INPUTFIELD Note,NoteText;

LOAD Department,

DepartmentMonthYear,

' ' as Note,

' ' as NoteText

RESIDENT DepartmentListing;

The DepartmentMonthYear would be linked to the Date Calendar. The Department would be linked to the GLMaster. I'd display the Note field on the RHS of the report table, while the Note AND NoteText field would be displayed at the bottom as a table box.

Is there a better way of doing this, or does this sound reasonable?

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Note: I'd have to map the Header department details into the transactional table and join on Department AND MonthYear as a key.

Joining to the Date Calendar and the Master would create a loop.

Qlikview didn't link the linkage to start with. But creating a distinct link island seems to got around this issue. I'm now having an issue with being able to input text into a straight table.

Like John experienced here (http://community.qlik.com/forums/p/23612/90555.aspx#90555 ).

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

I notice this post if from a few years back.  Did this solution work for you?  Or what have you found successful?

We are looking at the notes functionality in v11.

Thanks!

Kevin

Not applicable
Author

Hi Kevin,

My first post for years

SImple answer - No. We never got a robust solution up and running. We tried using input fields which would store to QVD and re-read but this proved too flaky.

A foreign data source is needed with a unique key. Simple to implement but the additional data source is rarely more elegant than a spreadsheet.

piekepotloed
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Kevin,

Did the notes functionality bring the solution or ...

Regards,

Peter