Skip to main content
Announcements
Customer Spotlight: Discover what’s possible with embedded analytics Oct. 16 at 10:00 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

After reload the .qvw document freezes (...)

Hi Qlik-experts!

Yesterday I came across the following issue:

A .qvw document that always worked normally, couldn't be reloaded anymore...

When we reloaded the document... we saw the dialogue "executing the script", and also we saw (after this dialogue was automatically closed) the dialogue "Sheet Properties [Details]" where I can select the fields displayed in listboxes (from the available fields).

When I press OK in that (2nd) dialogue, Qlikview was calculating the charts... and kept calculating them (for a few hours, after which I had to logoff).

Normally this last step (after clicking OK) takes perhaps 2,3 minutes...

I have no idea why this document couldn't finish the last step...

Any ideas on how I can tackle this issue? Because this was I cannot get the document reloaded entirely....

Additional details:

--> The document has a Facttable of 90 milion records... But this fact-table has been (around) this size since this document is in use...

I hope I can get some clever ideas to get this document working again!

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Read this blog post to help identify objects that consume a lot of memory. And this discussion contains a lot of performance tuning tips. If your table is too large to use directly in set expressions, perhaps creating additional aggregated tables can help.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try adding First nnnnn statements to the load statement to restrict the number of records loaded. You can then see if it's possible to finish a reload with a limited set of data.

It kinda sounds like a mighty big synthetic key (or link table) is created. But if you're sure the data model hasn't changed that's probably not the problem.

There's also this discussion. No idea if it will help you, but at least it's something you could try.

Not applicable
Author

I think that the datamodel is not the issue. I have succesfully done the reload, by adding a new (empty) sheet to the .qvw and then reload...

So now I'm able to store the new .qvw with the new data. Problem solved? No...

There is one chart (straight table) that doesn't get loaded (it is busy already for I guess 30-40 minutes). This despite the fact that in that empty sheet I made a very narrow selection (in the hope that the chart gets rendered).

Any additional tips?

Can I debug anything on this?

I'm afraid this table has become too heavy (and the selection doesn't help because of setanalysis that is applied there)

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Read this blog post to help identify objects that consume a lot of memory. And this discussion contains a lot of performance tuning tips. If your table is too large to use directly in set expressions, perhaps creating additional aggregated tables can help.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gysbert for the useful hints. I was working on a solution already, and with success (aggregating things in the loadscript did the trick).

Very nice to have links you provided. I'll read them anyway to see if I can learn something new from it!

Roberto