Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Age Function

Hey There,

i use on my data model at the age function & Interval for some reason i get not the right age, any idea what im doing wrong ?

On sql servel i use this "DATEDIFF(Year,E.BirthDate,GetDate()) EmployeeAge" but i know datediff does not work on qv so i try this other method.

Regards

David

Capture.JPG

12 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Are you talking about applying Age() to dates before year 1582, i.e. start of the gregorian calendar?

I believe QV will keep to the gregorian calendar and apply it's rules to the time before it was introduced (proleptic calendar). But I haven't tested it (haven't worked with databases containing these dates so far).

If your question is a concern about leap year handling, what concerns do you have exactely?

lawrenceiow
Creator II
Creator II

swuehl‌, my issue is simply to do with calculating a persons age. From my understanding (which may not be that great) dividing the days by 365.25 would be good enough for the living as it gains 1 day in 128 years. So in calculating the age which include the deceased I've since used 365.2425

Instead of using formulae such as

floor((eventDate-DateOfBirth)/365.2425) as PersonAge

I thought it might be neater to use

age(eventDate, DateOfBirth) as PersonAge

So, I just wanted to check that it would be safe to use this function.

Thanks for your help.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think the Age() function is more accurate in returning an integer number that is commonly regarded as age, i.e. increased by 1 each year whenever the day and month of the DateOfBirth value is reached.