Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Bar chart that reflects date spans

I am having a difficult time figuring out how to do the following:

My data source contains a set of tickets that are given a creation date and completion date. Typically these dates wll all occur within the same month, but on occasion a ticket can span over several months.

I would like for my bar chart to reflect a value of 1, for each ticket, for each month that it spans.

Here is some sample data:

Ticket #Create DateComplete DateStatus
TK3512/12/20126/4/2012Complete
TK3525/1/20125/2/2012Complete
TK3531/1/2012-In-Progress

Based on the above, I would like the chart to reflect that the ticket was "relevant" for the following months marked with an X:

(since the current month is July, I need an x in this month for TK353 since it is still in progress (no complete date has been entered))`

JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
TK351
xxxxx

TK352

x

TK353xxxxxxx

Using the above, I can show a crude ASCII bar chart showing how it would look:

x

xxxxx
xxxxxxx
JanFebMarAprMayJunJul

The issue I have is that the data is not time-variant, meaning I don't get a record for each month when the ticket remains open during that month. I only have the one record like above reflecting the date span.

On the same note, when the ticket is complete, I would like for it to not display on the chart. For this I can read the value of "Status" as to whether or not I increment the bar chart by +1.

Thanks for the help...

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

check this:

Not applicable
Author

Hi Pari,

Thank you for this example. It is definitely one way to approach the problem, but I find that it is restrictive in terms of how my end users can use the QV dashboard. Mainly, they need to be able to adjust the date dimensions like Month.