Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Bar width on Bar Chart ignores static max and min values.

My problem is that the bars on my bar chart are not displaying with a sensible width.  Sometimes they are so narrow they can hardly be seen and sometimes they are so wide that they overlap and obscure each other. It all seems to be due to the bar chart calculating the width of the bars without taking into account the size of the dimension axis.  It only seems to use the range of possible dimension data and ignore the static max and min values set.

Can anybody suggest a way of making it size the bars to fit the graph?

I have several simple bar charts that are showing data for a wide range of dimension values.

Almost all of the data of interest to the user on these charts,  around 98% of the data is in a narrow part at the lower end of the range of possible dimension values. 

For my use case the extreme high values are not of interest to the user so I have set a static min and max value to automatically calculated to display the interesting 98% of the data.  This range calculation works and the graph shows the correct range of data.

My problem is that the bars are sized as if the chart was displaying all of the data and are very thin. This looks very silly with around 40 tiny skinny little bars and loads of blank space.

This is bad enough but if the user then makes further selections such that the data selected now has a much narrower range of dimension values The graph end up with 3 very fat wide bars that overlap each other.

Is it not possible to have a bar chart with a fixed Dimension Axis min and max values and for the bars to size sensibly?

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I have had a response from QlikTech support saying that this is not be a bug.  Can it be true that Qlikview cannot do a histogram that plots the frequency distribution of a numerical value and draws the bars with a sensible width?

The histogram we need to have shows the frequency of a numerical dimension grouped into bin sizes and also plots the range of values leaving gaps where there are no values in that range.

The only way of doing this appears to be by;

selecting continuous on the x axis (dimension) so that it plots the range of data including the gaps in the values

using a dimension like    Floor(value, $(vBinSize))    to group the numerical values together.

The trouble is as soon as I do this Qlikview has a bit of a fit and can't work out how wide the bars should be.  The bar width can be anywhere from too wide and overlap/obscure each other,  or so narrow they are hard to see and look ridiculous.

I've attached an example if there is anyone who may have any suggestions.  Any suggestions for improvements/fixes would be very gratefully received.

Thanks Dave.

Rich-HHE
Contributor III
Contributor III

This is absolutely the case. See  my complaints here: annoying bar chart behaviour

It's unbelievable. Someone from QlikView needs to address this. It's embarrassing when the CEO asks for a chart and I have to export the data to Excel or OpenOffice to make one.