Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwin
Master II
Master II

Bridge table versus set analysis - which is better/faster?

Hi,

As a rule for optimization, i try to move logic from my chart expressions to my script.  one of the more common expression i move are calendar expressions such as YTD, MTD, priorMTD, priorYTD, etc..

i get this feeling that there has to be an inflection point where using the bridge will actually make your dashboard run slower than just doing a sum({<Date={">=$(YearStart(vDate))<=vDate)"}>}Amount) as opposed to sum({<YTD={1}>}Amount)

the reason i bring this up is that ive come across a scenario where i built a bridge that will address the need for calculating PRIOR3months, PRIOR6MOnths, PriorYear3Months, PriorYear6Months and the bridge goes up to millions of records.  and i get this feeling that maybe with the hops QV is doing maybe it is better to just do it old school and use variables in set analysis.

has anyone come across benchmarking that says up to this point dont use the bridge?  or maybe use the bridge for certain expression but use set analysis for others?  or maybe not use a bridge at all if using a single date field to relate to the master calendar.

pls share your thoughts and experiences.

thanks,
edwin

Labels (3)
0 Replies