Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Budget calculation problem > QV11 differs from QV10!

Hi Community,

One of our customers updated from QV10 to QV11.

Since the update, they have a problem with calculating their budgets. In QV10 they had a method for it that worked very well, but in QV11 this calculation doesn't work anymore.

Attached I have 1 QVW that you can open in both QV10 and QV11. The QV10 outcome differs from QV11

We have checked what  happens, and that is this: in QV11 the budget is multiplied by the number of records that this year has...

so my questions:

1: is it a bug in QV11?

2: if not (and also if it is a bug...) how can we now easiest make sure that the budget for 2011 is not multiplied by the number of records of that year?

One workaround I have suggested was this one:

- add rowno() in the loadscript and make sure that you filter by rownumber (with setAnalysis or by a rownumber you found manually).

We however don't want rownumber fields when it is not needed and the formula gets more complex than in QV10

Who has good suggestions for me?

Attached

- the QVW

- the QV10 behavior

- theQV11 behavior

#edit: to be clear:

- in the qvw the issue can be seen in the chart on the left... The correct budget (red bar) is 700 for 2011 and 600 for 2012

- the formula we use: sum({<Year={2011}>} 700) + sum( {<Year={2012}>}600)

#edit2: What I find quite strange, is that in textboxes, the calculations are as expected in QV11 (e.g. the same as in QV10) but in charts they are incorrect (see the updated qvw where it is visible)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Roberto,

I can't really comment on the question if this is a bug or not, I definitely see what you are talking about and have also a vague idea why this is happening (I just tried in QV11, but I believe that your observations are right about the QV10 behaviour).

Why are you using set analysis for the budget calculations? Don't you have a link (created in your data model) between Budget and year?

If not, you can also get your budget per year like:

=pick(match(Year,2011,2012),700,600)

Regards,

Stefan

edit:

If you need the set analysis for any reason, you could also add to your load

LOAD distinct Year

, 1 as One

Resident Actuals;

Then do

sum(

{<Year={2011}>}

700 *One

)

+

sum(

{<Year={2012}>}

600*One

)

for your Budget expression.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Roberto,

I can't really comment on the question if this is a bug or not, I definitely see what you are talking about and have also a vague idea why this is happening (I just tried in QV11, but I believe that your observations are right about the QV10 behaviour).

Why are you using set analysis for the budget calculations? Don't you have a link (created in your data model) between Budget and year?

If not, you can also get your budget per year like:

=pick(match(Year,2011,2012),700,600)

Regards,

Stefan

edit:

If you need the set analysis for any reason, you could also add to your load

LOAD distinct Year

, 1 as One

Resident Actuals;

Then do

sum(

{<Year={2011}>}

700 *One

)

+

sum(

{<Year={2012}>}

600*One

)

for your Budget expression.

Not applicable
Author

Hi swuehl,

There is no relation between budget and the model.

Your pick/match expression was already a solution, but the other one you suggest is also very creatively found!

Thanks a lot!

Still I wonder why this behavior has changed, but that's something you can't help.

>>If people from Qlikview are also reading... could you comment on this?