Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buttons/Text Boxes to toggle between charts in a container

Hi,

I have a container with 5 pivot tables in it. Is it possible to create buttons/text boxes for each pivot table so that the pivot tables toggle with respect to the button/text box selection?

I need to implement this in my container and need to know if it is possible (if yes, how) before I proceed.

6 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I don't think you can define what chart is presented in a container, using buttons or text objects.

If you'd like to manage your presentation with buttons (text objects), scratch away the container concept and define all your objects with show/hide conditions (Layout tab of the object properties).

I'm describing this solution with a lot of detail in my book QlikView Your Business - check it out if you'd like detailed directions.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I can use Hide/Show conditions, Oleg, but that means I have to leave empty space in my dashboard where the tables will be displayed when selected. A container saves the space. Also, toggling between pivot tables looks much more convenient for the users than hiding the tables on the whole.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Perhaps I wasn't too clear in my explanation... you never hide all of your pivot tables. One of them is always displayed, and the buttons determine which one is displayed at the moment.

The container gives you the place to put several charts and a set of tabs that allow toggling between them. The buttons provide the same logic, only implemented without a container.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Oleg,

The Hide/Show logic using Actions can be used even in the container. I have used Action->Minimize Object in buttons to minimize the objects inside the container. I have enabled the Auto Minimize check box in Chart Properties->Caption.

This way, when I click on the respective button, the object minimizes and maximizes. If no button is selected, then no chart object will be displayed inside the container. We can use the same logic outside the container too.

But my question is, is there any way to use the buttons to toggle between chart objects within the container? I am using some actions on each button for each chart. So whenever I select a button, certain filters are applied.

My whole point is to eliminate the user's effort to manually switch between chart objects. I was looking if selecting a button can also toggle the respect chart in the container.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I understand the point, and yes, it can be done using triggers that can be dependent on certain field Selections.

What I don't understand is why tinker with the Container if you are showing, hiding, or minimizing objects based on conditions anyway? It looks to me like another layer of potential problems, issues, or limitations. Replace the container with a collection of charts and a set of conditions that determine what chart(s) should be open at a specific moment.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You are right in a way. Removing the container eliminates one additional layer. But it enables the users to see that there is a Container and the container shows Object Tabs. This way, the space won't be empty and users understand that there could be a chart hidden here.

Thanks Oleg, I will definitely have a look at your book