cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

CALs added twice

Hi

I have a problem - a user has asked for  access to one of our reports, so I invoked the management console to allocate a CAL, and all the CALs for that report are doubled-up, ie each entry appears twice, doubling the actual number of assigned CALs.

I have tried removing one of each & clicking apply, but they all still remain.  I have removed both entries for one user, and when I try to re-add them, two entries appear in the list.

If I go via Users/CALs any particular user only appears once.

We are using QlikView 11.

What do I do to fix this?

Regards, Stewart

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Ah, there you have it. Two DSC's. This works only if you cluster them. You do not really need two DSC's because your QMS (Manament service) will know where to find a single one and report this to each Web Server. Switch off one and keep the other that is reachable by all services and you will see the double CALs disappear.

You may need to free the way on the DSC port if you park the single one in the DMZ for example. However it wasn't entirely clear to me whether one of your web servers has been banned to the DMZ...

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You're using QV 11.00, not QV 11.20?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes, 11.0.11440.0 SR2 64-bit

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Are you running a clustered set-up? With two DSC services?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Pretty certain not - there's just the one machine running the QVS service.  From Google do you mean Desired State Configuration by DSC?  If so, our IT support guys have never heard of it.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

DSC = Directory Service Connector, one of the services that QlikView is running. If you run two isolated copies of them, all users will be found twice and assignments will double.

Could also be caused by identical usernames appearing in two different domains/directories.

I seem to remember that QlikView once had a bug of that kind in CAL assignment, but I don't know for sure. 11.00SR2 is now more than 3 years old. SR13 has 1500+ bugs fixed since 11.00SR2. Time for an upgrade?

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Peter

Looking at the System tab, it appears we have 2 Web servers (QVWS@qv1 & QVWS@app1 - the qv1 instance is the one that our users access day-to-day).  Each of these has a separate DSC.

Under the qv1 DSC, there is an active directory service (blank username/password) & a local directory service (with a username & password)

Under the app1 DSC, there is only an active directory service (same username/password as local directory above).

When assigning CALs, we are assigning them to docs in QVS@qv1 (so I'm assuming the app1 DSC is irrelevant), it offers the 2 directories above, along with All Directories for the Default Scope, but if I select the local directory, the names I have checked that are doubling up are not found - however, is this the likely cause?

I think I have a workaround by manually inputting the usernames - with under 40, it shouldn't be too bad.

Regards, Stewart

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Ah, there you have it. Two DSC's. This works only if you cluster them. You do not really need two DSC's because your QMS (Manament service) will know where to find a single one and report this to each Web Server. Switch off one and keep the other that is reachable by all services and you will see the double CALs disappear.

You may need to free the way on the DSC port if you park the single one in the DMZ for example. However it wasn't entirely clear to me whether one of your web servers has been banned to the DMZ...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Many, many thanks Peter

I got rid of the surplus one & can get the licences singly & under the limit so I can make changes now.  Coincidentally, one of the overnight jobs fell over last night (well, I hope it's coincidental).

Regards, Stewart