Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cosmicyes
Contributor III
Contributor III

Calculate duration in minutes

Hello friends,

I need to calculate the duration between 2 timestamps in  minutes (even if it lasts for days).

In my Excel I have:

startdate (dd.mm.yyyy)
starttime (hh:mm)
enddate (dd.mm.yyyy)
endtime (hh:mm)

What I have tried so far:

Interval((date(enddate,'YYYYMMDD') & time(endtime,'HHMM'))-(date(startdate,'YYYYMMDD') & time(starttime,'HHMM'))) as Duration,

Example:
Startdate: 01.08.2018
Starttime: 00:05
Enddate: 01.08.2018
Enddate: 06:05

My solution leads to 600.
The right solution would be 360.
But as 360 minutes are 6 hours I feel that I am not far from the right solution...

Any help?

Thank you in advance

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

If your fields are real dates and times there is no need to format them - if not you need to convert them with date#() and time#(). To merge them they are added like date + time because & is for a string-concatenation (even if it's regocnized in some cases as a number). Further you need to apply the right formatting which are set in lower cases for times. In short try:

Interval((enddate + endtime)-(startdate + starttime),'mm')

- Marcus

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

May be add minutes as format

Interval((date(enddate,'YYYYMMDD') & time(endtime,'HHMM'))-(date(startdate,'YYYYMMDD') & time(starttime,'HHMM')), 'MM') as Duration,

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
cosmicyes
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you - but no, same result.

I did another try:

date((date(enddate,'YYYYMMDD') & time(endtime, 'hhmm'))-(date(startdate,'YYYYMMDD') & time(starttime, 'hhmm')))/100*60 as Duration

In my first example this leads to 360 --> cool.
But:
Another example
startdate 01.08.2018
starttime 00:35
enddate 01.08.2018
endtime 01:24

my second try leads to 53 but 49 would be right.  Mmmm....

marcus_sommer

If your fields are real dates and times there is no need to format them - if not you need to convert them with date#() and time#(). To merge them they are added like date + time because & is for a string-concatenation (even if it's regocnized in some cases as a number). Further you need to apply the right formatting which are set in lower cases for times. In short try:

Interval((enddate + endtime)-(startdate + starttime),'mm')

- Marcus

tresesco
MVP
MVP

One common mistake:

MM - month

mm - minute

So, use 'mm' and 'MM' properly

cosmicyes
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author