cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dawgfather
Creator
Creator

Calculating a percentage based on overall totals

I have looked through a number of postings and I'm close but can't get this to work. 

I am looking to be able to calculate a percentage of how much data is shared on a hard drive amongst users and their folders. So the theory is that all of their folder sizes (added together) would be 100% and then each user would show up as a certain % based on the aggregate of their data. I had something in mind based on other postings, but it is not working. Something like this:

= (SUM(ProvisionedSpace)) / (SUM(Total  <UserID> (ProvisionedSpace))

Example data:

UserID

ProvisionedSpace

My calculated %

A

0.2%

A

0.5%

A

0.8%

A

1.6%

A

2.5%

A

4.1%

A

8.2%

A

24.6%

B

41.1%

B

16.4%

Totals

100.0%

I added the third column in Excel just to show calculations behind the scenes and we'd only have the first and second columns. 

A's total should be 42.5% if you add all of their folders and their folder percentages together, compared to the total.

B's total should be 57.5% based on the same. 

So in a chart – take a bar chart where you’d have UserID as a Dimension, I'd end up with a 42.5/57.5 split. If a general chart you’d get 2 lines – A = 42.5% and B = 57.5% in an Expression column.

Thoughts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Then try this

=Sum(ProvisionedSpace) / Sum(TOTAL <Drive> ProvisionedSpace)

View solution in original post

6 Replies
sunny_talwar

Try this

=Sum(ProvisionedSpace)/Sum(TOTAL ProvisionedSpace)
dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

I am assuming you need provisioned space as a dimension.

Use below expression 

=Sum(TOTAL<UserID> ProvisionedSpace)/Sum(TOTAL ProvisionedSpace)

output

Capture.jpg

dawgfather
Creator
Creator
Author

Ok...so almost there...I had it backwards and missing a "TOTAL"...

So that works for showing a single hard drive...if I do one by one individually I get 100% and then the breakouts...awesome.

But if I have more than one drive, my charts get wonky. I'd expect that each drive shows as their own independent 100% but they don't.

So I guess that 3rd dimension has to come into play...I'll add that to the sample data below to see if that makes a difference and maybe it's just my Dimensions chosen or something.

Each Drive (top Dimension) should have it's own column with divisions by UserID (second Dimension) - with the Expression you provided -->     =Sum(ProvisionedSpace) / Sum(TOTAL ProvisionedSpace)

New data - changed to elaborate:

DriveUserIDProvisionedSpaceMyCalculated%Drive's SUM
1A104.6%219
1A10045.7%
1B2511.4%
1B8438.4%
2A5414.9%363
2B6818.7%
2C12333.9%
2D215.8%
2A9726.7%
3A1055.9%1791
3D975.4%
3G90050.3%
3G352.0%
3H65436.5%

I have an Axes set to Static Max of "1" which would be 100%.

Right now filtered/selected individually, they show properly at 100%. If I let all 3 show together in a chart, they all go down to less than 30% each.

dawgfather
Creator
Creator
Author

Almost there...could you look at the other reply I had about having multiple Drives - adding another variable throws the calculations off.

sunny_talwar

Then try this

=Sum(ProvisionedSpace) / Sum(TOTAL <Drive> ProvisionedSpace)
dawgfather
Creator
Creator
Author

Perfect. Thank you. The first solution was great for a single item and this last one worked for multiple. Greatly appreciate the quick responses!