Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mancunia
Contributor III
Contributor III

Can I disable section access without a reload?

Hello,

We have a problem with some of our snapshotted apps which use section access.

At the end of each financial year we snapshot our apps (i.e. take a copy and distribute them as a snapshot for that year). 

These apps use section access which unfortunately means that some of the new starters are unable to access the older snapshot apps as they do not exist in the Section Access user table, even if I distribute the app to them.

Is there any way for me to disable section access in these apps and rely purely on distribution for security?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

I believe that is correct.

You could probably work around this issue by creating a copy of this app, using the original app as a binary load source and then adding additional section access information in the copied app?

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

In QlikView, you can disable the "Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access" box under Document Properties / Opening.

Or_0-1686737813629.png

Mancunia
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you Or.

As  I understand it, this affects data reduction and not access. In this case the users who are not present in the table will still be unable to access the app.

Or
MVP
MVP

I believe that is correct.

You could probably work around this issue by creating a copy of this app, using the original app as a binary load source and then adding additional section access information in the copied app?

marcus_sommer

I think it won't be possible - at least not without a reload. But a reload mustn't be a big issue. Of course it will depend on the design of the environment. IMO a snapshot of an application hasn't much value if the underlying data aren't available anymore. Therefore they should be also stored and then a reload didn't cost much efforts.

By using a multi-layer data-architecture in which the final reports are just loading binary from the data-model you may even skip a snapshot of all underlying qvd's and further sources because you could re-create them from the report. So this would mean not just to store the report else also the data-model.

Another more simple way would be to disable the section access during the snapshot-task.

Mancunia
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks guys.

We have changes to the firm structure annually which is backdated so users often require data within prior structures, which is why we need the snapshot.

I have tried the following:

1. Copy snapshot QVW

2. In the copied snapshot, reload from original using binary, and add new blank section access section.

3. Overwrite original snapshot file / (previous snapshot backed up).

4. Re-distribute to users

I've sent to a user to test and will update how that goes.

Mancunia
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Or,

This has worked, the user is now able to access. Thank you.

Mancunia
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Update: User now has access. 😃

marcus_sommer

The following adjustments will probably need some efforts but may in the end have more benefits as disadvantages - and this is to combine the structures with the period-information, maybe something like:

product & '|' & year as ProductYearKey

within the facts and in the (extra ?) dimensions.

It wouldn't only save the efforts to snapshot the data/application before the next changes else it would also provide possibilities of directly comparing elder structures against each other and/or the current ones.