Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can qvw file log values to a resident table?

Hi,

I need to be able to write some operational grid reports such that once a particular record has appeared once in a report, it will not appear again. The only way I can think to do this in QlikView would be if it were possible for the dashboard to log some values to a resident table upon the click of a button that can be used the following time as a 'AND NOT IN...' e.g.

1. 1st time application is run, filter conditions bring back all records that match criteria across all time, inc. unique ref of each row

2. User clicks a button

a) This triggers the writing of all active record references to a resident table, as a log that these rows have appeared in one instance of the application being run.

b) It also prompts a pop up box asking if the user would like to export the grid as an excel file as a permanent record of the rows returned by the application on that occasion

3. Next time the app runs - rows that comply with the main conditions but are already in the resident table should not appear. Once again, any rows that are active when the button is pressed are appended to the end of the resident table.

I know this is not strict 'dashboard' functionality but this operational requirement is in addition to some standard dashboarding requirements. There are no suitable date stamps in the data set that will guarantee that rows never appear in multiple reports.

Any other ways of logging the outcome of a particular result set from one run time to the next?

Many Thanks

Virgil

2 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

Think that writing into a file is a bit cumbersome. You may write a macro which exports the current selection into a file, which then is read on the next refresh. If you only wish to avoid the loading of duplicate records, you may have a look into the LOAD DISTINCT - functionality. Else the condition WHERE EXISTS() may of help, in which you compare, whether a certain key-field has been loaded already earlier.

HTH
Peter

Not applicable
Author

Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion. This definitely sounds like a neater way to do this - will also mean I have a physical copy of 'not to be included again' records outside of the QVW file (that's assuming my convoluted suggestion would have even worked...) a a backup in case something else goes wrong.

To clarify, it is not just distinct records that I am looking to load, it is to prevent anything that has come up before from appearing in any future report e.g. run 1 there are 3 records: 1, 2, 3. Only record 1 satisfies the report criteria so it appears the first run time. By second run time a record 4 has come into existence which also satisfies the report criteria. Only record 4 should appear the second run time as record 1 appeared once already.

Thanks

Virgil