Skip to main content

QlikView App Dev

Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.

Announcements
QlikWorld 2023, a live, in-person thrill ride. Save $300 before February 6: REGISTER NOW!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Comma separated searches

Hi,

I have a open question (no specific app relations). Is it possible to create a search box that can do multiple searches at the same time by having comma separated entries. The situation I am working with is people getting lists of employees mailed to them (Adam, Brian, Carl ... ) and they would then like to Copy+Paste this string of people directly into a search box and set the filter that way. Or Copy+Paste a list out of Excel into Qlikview.

Im not necessarily looking for a comma separated solution, however some sort of divisor to do enter multiple searches in a Search Box at the same time. Is this possible, and if such - how? I am not to solve this with any script reading or such since I cannot ask the end-users to do so. I just want the Copy + Paste solution.

Cheers,

Nils

16 Replies
rbecher
MVP
MVP

But tell me how a search field could interpret a search entry of 'brian smith' in an search expression like:

- brian OR smith

- brian AND smith

- 'brian smith'

- 'brian?smith'

- 'brian*smith'

etc.

Vizlib Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

simple, tell it to look for a comma (for instance) as a divider between strings. then "brian smith" would search for that entire string when "brian, smith" would search for all brians and all smiths. a search for "brian smith, brain anderson" would yield results for brians smiths and brian andersons. its not that complicated...

rbecher
MVP
MVP

It's just one use case of searching..

Vizlib Head of R&D
maxgro
MVP
MVP

I agree with you, it's too complicated for a user

I tried a different solution, the idea is in the attachment

Thanks for posting this curious question

Not applicable
Author

interesting attachment, i will consider it. however i still think the problem is something qlikview internal developers should address, and make the search function "smarter"

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Nice one. However, the double qoutes are not needed:

Let p = '(*' & replace('$(o)', ',',  '*|*') & '*)'

Vizlib Head of R&D
vbeachii
Contributor II
Contributor II

I agree. I used to use Microstrategy (another type of BI application) and it would allow me to import comma delimited files with, for example, prescription names I wanted to filter out. This was so easy and efficient. Nobody wants to go through an application and click on each single drug they would like to filter out, especially if there are 200+ drug names.