Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Comparing 2 subsets of data using 2 charts?

Hi All,

Fairly new to Qlikview and currently exploring it to see if it is what I am looking for in terms of how flexible it is and will it do what I need it to.

I get how to create fairly simple dashboards (I have used Omniscope and Tableau in the past) in Qlikview, however I need to find out if it is possible to do some more advanced stuff.

For instance, can I have say two bar charts, one with say a country=USA and the other country=UK on the same dashboard? In other words using the same field (country) but one chart filtered by one value and the other filtered by another value. This would enable the user to be able to compare them for a given x and y axis.

The reason I ask is because from what I understand any filtering performed seems to impact all sheet objects and all other dashboards. This makes it difficult for benchmarking.

To illustrate what I mean - I have attached a word document which has 3 example charts, one for USA, one for UK and the last one shows the differences between the two charts.

Regards,

Revlin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It's possible to modify or override selections (filters) using Set Expressions within your chart expresions. What you have shown in your example is possible and fairly easy. There are also other ways you may want to group the data. The attached shows some examples as well as the solution for your posted example.

-Rob

http://robwunderlich.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It's possible to modify or override selections (filters) using Set Expressions within your chart expresions. What you have shown in your example is possible and fairly easy. There are also other ways you may want to group the data. The attached shows some examples as well as the solution for your posted example.

-Rob

http://robwunderlich.com

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Revlin,

with QV11, there is also the new concept of alternate states. Not so much different from using set analysis (like in Rob's example), and in fact you often combine alternate states with set analysis (like I did in attached example).

Alternate states facilitate filtering charts by selecting from the same field values. For example, if you have more than 2 Countries and want to compare any two of them in two different charts (or even within the same chart), it's easy to use 1 Country field for letting the user select countries for the two charts.

See attached (I borrowed Rob's example, thanks to Rob).

Ande here is another example in the demo section of the QV site:

http://eu.demo.qlik.com/QvAJAXZfc/opendoc.htm?document=qvdocs/Whats%20New%20in%20QlikView11.qvw&host...

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your help Rob and Stefan, much appreciated.

I do not yet have the full version of Qlikview yet (as we are still in the process of working out which tool is best for what we need) so I cannot open the attached files. However, I did have a look at the demo Stefan suggested and it seems like this can be done.

Regards

Revlin

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

Even i want to compare some data,unable to open your twocountriew.qvw ,can you share steps to do in qlikview

Thanks

Srini

Not applicable
Author

Try this one

take dimention as country

goto chart ->expression

count({<country={'USA'}>}empid)

and

count({<country={'USA','UK'}>}empid)