Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Copy bookmark to another application

Hello everyone, we have been working in an application for some time, but now we want to set reductions in QEMC, and distribute access restricted versions instead. The problem is that people have created bookmarks in the original app. Is it possible to transfer a bookmark from one app to another?

Regards

Johan

11 Replies
Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

chk dis

Re: Bookmarks

suniljain
Master
Master

Please rename .shared file of source application to destination application . It will inherit all that information .

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes your right. I experimented with that a few weeks ago and didn´t manage to get it right, but now I did. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Ah now I remember what I did wrong last time. I didn´t esport the bookmark. I located the folder where the bookmarks are saved and then tried to import that file, which did not work. So you have to export the existing bookmarks first, one by one? This can be a slight problem since we need to communicate with all the users.

Is there any solution that I as an administrator can use, so we don´t have to communicate with all the users? Copy the shared file is not an option since som might already have created personal objects in the new reduced app.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Sunil but to copy the shared file is not an option since some might already have created personal objects in the new reduced app.

stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Johan,

tough situation, you can do as Sunil says, but than you will have all bookmarks in all reduced Versions. If you for example reduce the main app to 3 different document, doc1, doc2, doc3, you will get 3 .shared files and have to copy the main shared file 3 times With different name. Maybe this is not a problem? But if you want to "cut" single bookmarks out of the main shared files and put it into one of the New, I dont know if that is possible. Maybe some Power Tool can fix this.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

With the Shared File Viewer powertool, you can export server objects to XML - including bookmarks. However I don't think there is a way to import them in another shared file. You can however import them in the document itself, but that may require some xml tweaking, as IIRC the formats of Powertool export and QV Desktop Bookmark import are not exactly the same... YMMV.

Recreating them is often the quicker method.

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes exactly, I would like to add all bookmarks from the main file, into one of the new. So as you say, it´s a tricky situation .

stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Yes, tricky is now the situation, as I can read that you already have reduced Versions With New bookmarks or Objects.

This means that you in somehow have to cut singel bookmarks out of the main shared file and copy it into reduced shared files, otherwise you will "Write over" the New created ones.

I have built a Application where I can see what selection all bookmarks include and also who create it. This means that it could be possible for you to create New bookmarks  inside the reduced Version (as an admin) and then change user in qmc. But this is maybe not an option?