cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ttmaroney
Contributor III
Contributor III

Counting different occurrences in the same month

I have an application with a list of projects and their characteristics (dates created, started, and finished (MM-YYYY) as well as Phase (completed, closed, …) and others. I have a dimension MonthYear (also MM-YYYY). What I am shooting for is a straight table with MonthYear as the first dimension and the following calculated dimensions:

• Projects Converted (Count projects where CreatedMonthYear =  MonthYear)
  • Projects Started (Count projects where StartMonthYear =  MonthYear)
  • Projects Cancelled (Count projects where FinishMonthYear =  MonthYear and Status = ‘Cancelled’)
  • Projects Completed (Count projects where FinishMonthYear =  MonthYear and Status = ‘Completed')

Looking for something like this:

MonthYear         Projects Converted         Projects Started     Projects Completed      Projects Cancelled 

Jul-2016                               4                               3                              6                                  1

Jun-2016                              5                               4                              7                                  2

How do I write the expression for the bullet points above?

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Maybe you could use the canonical dates approach as described in Henric's excellent post Canonical Date. Then you could just use an expression such as count({Phase={'Completed'}>}Projects). And the same for each phase you need to show.

Hope this is useful for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

use set analysis in the expression

I am assuming the following

(dates created, started, and finished (MM-YYYY)

as

(dates created,  dates  started, and dates  finished (MM-YYYY)

• Projects Converted (Count projects where CreatedMonthYear =  MonthYear)

count({<MonthYear={ '$(=Date([dates created],'MM-YYYY' )'}  >} projects)

• Projects Started (Count projects where StartMonthYear =  MonthYear)

count({<MonthYear={ '$(=Date([dates started],'MM-YYYY' )'}  >} projects)

• Projects Cancelled (Count projects where FinishMonthYear =  MonthYear and Status = ‘Cancelled’)

count({<MonthYear={ '$(=Date([dates finished],'MM-YYYY' )'} , Status={'Cancelled’} >} projects)

ttmaroney
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Alluraiah,

Thanks for the reply. When I try these, starting with the first, I am getting "error in calculated dimension'. I included screen shots below. What am I doing wrong?  Also, if they all have the same format, do I need to specify the date format?

It says it's ok, yet it underlines some in red, indicating something is wrong.

ttmaroney
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I have tried all of these with no luck (just for the first calculation based on creation date:

=count({<CreatedMonthYear={[date([MonthYear],'MMM-YYYY'}>}distinct [Investment ID])

=count({<MonthYear={[date([CreatedMonthYear],'MMM-YYYY'}>}distinct [Investment ID]

=count({<MonthYear={CreatedMonthYear}>}distinct [Investment ID]

=count({<(Date(MonthYear,'MMM-YYYY'))= (Date(CreatedMonthYear, 'MMM-YYYY')}>} distinct [Investment ID]) )

=count({[<[CreatedMonthYear]={$(Date(MonthYear,'MMM-YYYY')"}>}distinct [Investment ID])

I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, I just don't know what it is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

will you provide me some sample data ...

I think something wrong with date format .

ttmaroney
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

See attached.Thanks for the help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

try this

=count({$<[MonthYear]={"$(=Date(CreatedMonthYear,'MMM-YYYY'))"}>} DISTINCT [Investment ID])

or

=count({$<[MonthYear]={">=$(=Date(max(CreatedMonthYear),'MMM-YYYY'))<=$(=Date(min(CreatedMonthYear),'MMM-YYYY'))"}>} DISTINCT [Investment ID])

but I am realizing now , Canonical Date  should be right ...

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You cannot use a set expression to select based on a dimension value. The set expression is evaluated once for the table, and not on a row-by-row basis. You can use an island dimension and sum(if()) expressions, or the approach in the link suggested above, Canonical Date

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein