Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Customized steps in Slider Object for a larger Max Value

Hi Experts,

I could not find related topic in this forum for my question. Need help in customizing steps in Slider object.

I have a slider object, in which I have used a variable with Min Value as 0 and Max Value as 100,000,000. Static step as 1. Slider is considering some random steps when dragging / clicking the arrow like in thousands.

Expectation: I need the steps to be increased by 1, whether by clicking on the right side arrow of slider / dragging the slider bar in the object.

Ex: if I am on 50,000, next value should be 50,001

Thanks in advance!

11 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

The least you can move a slider, whether by clicking or dragging, is 1 pixel. Let's say your slider bar is 1,000 pixels wide. Then moving your slider bar a single pixel must increase the value by 100,000. If you want a single pixel of movement to increase the value by 1, then you're going to need a monitor more than 100,000,000 pixels wide.

You could create buttons that add 1 or subtract 1 from the variable, and put them on top of the slider buttons, basically replacing them. You could then increase and decrease by 1, but the slider of course won't move until you press a button 100,000 times in a row.

I'm not sure a slider is the object you need here.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your brief reply John!

Basically my requirement is that, user can enter a random value like an Input box for some calculation in result section. Unfortunately Input box is not working properly on an iPad. When I tried to enter value in an Input box on iPad, keypad is not opening at all to enter any value.

As an alternative for iPad, I am trying to accomplish this by using a Slider object.

Could you please help me by giving your valuable suggestions?

Thanks!

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Input box doesn't work on iPad? Yikes. That seems pretty basic. Surely there's just some technical problem that can be solved?

If not, well, this is a horrible solution, but here are buttons to change each digit +1 or -1. Well, I did three digits. Hopefully the pattern is clear from the first three. And if you do something like this, hopefully you can make it look better.

Capture.PNG

MarcoWedel

seems I should have hit my browser refresh button once in a while ...

no need to post this qvw anymore :

QlikCommunity_Thread_237610_Pic1.JPG

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I know the feeling. You spend a bunch of time creating an example, go to post it, and see that someone else beat you to the same idea. I usually post anyway. "Me too!"

I think it's still worth posting yours. My example is incomplete. It would be easier to copy yours than to try to complete mine. I'm also curious about differences in our expressions, since there are multiple ways to do the same thing.

MarcoWedel

Good to hear about shared experiences. I guess that's what turns a set of individuals into a community.

Here is how I tried to find a solution:

QlikCommunity_Thread_237610_Pic2.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_237610_Pic3.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_237610_Pic4.JPG

hope it helps

regards

Marco

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot experts for your solutions!

I would need to have many objects side by side to enter inputs, in that situation space is a constraint to have many text and buttons. Still I can try this as solution to my requirement.

Thank You!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the alternative solution!

Yes, it is very basic for an Input box to work properly on an iPad.

I have used a simple variable for an input box which is not working on iPad.

Do you have any chance to explore this on an iPad?

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I won't be any help with iPad problems, I'm afraid. We explored the possibility of running QlikView on iPads a few years back, and it sort of worked for a sample application. But ultimately the company went with some other tablet, I think. I've done no QlikView development for the actual tablets we use.