Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richnorris
Creator II
Creator II

Dashboard wont open

I have an annoying / strange issue where one of our dashboards won't open when you try and connect remotely.

We have an extract QVW that runs and loads all the data, and then we have two dashboards that do a binary load off of this. One is a smaller one for regular users, which runs fine, the other is a larger one for admin users (ends up roughly the same size as the extract QVW) which has export functionality, some Macros, and some different functionality.

The issue we are having is that when a user attempts to connect to the Admin dashboard, it just hangs, and the dashboard never opens. (Never get an error message either.) Once a user has tried to connect, making any changes to the Admin dashboard and saving results in a 'Sharing access violation' error, until the Qlikview server service is turned off / restarted.

If I reload the admin dashboard, select only the current year, save it, and then reload the dashboard again, and then save it, it is possible (although slow) to connect to it. If the dashboard is refreshed after this however, it becomes unusable again.

I'm really struggling with this one. The only changes that we have made since the last working release, are to add a text field, and display it on one of the tables. Of note; the dashboard is 2g big, and creating a -prj folder doesn't work. (No xml files are produced.) Also, the previous release, we had an expression in one of the table's captions, and it caused the dashboard to never finish saving. Moving the epression from the table caption into a text box fixed this issue. (WHAT!?).

Has anyone ever had anything similar, that was fixed by doing something arbitrary? I'm really at my wits end.

5 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Just a few questions:

• Is this happening in QV Server or in QV Desktop?
  • What version of the QlikView software is currently deployed?

Peter

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Do you have an OnOpen trigger doing some processing? If this goes wrong it could cause a long delay or hang on opening.

Have you tried doing a no-data load?

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
richnorris
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I'm hosting the doc with QV server, and then trying to connect to that via thick client is causing the issue. The version of QV is 11 SR6 x64.

We do have a couple of OnOpen triggers, and this was my first port of call, but it seems like removing them has no impact. Honestly, I'm not surprised, since the version that is currently working also has these OnOpen triggers, and they have been working for a number of releases. Nothing in the new release effects the date or any variables, and the OnOpen triggers merely set the year and a single variable to a text value.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Weird. Your situation isn't entirely clear to me.

How can a user that opens a dashboard from the QlikView AccessPoint in the "thick" client make changes and save the dashboard back to the server? If they do not use File->Open in Server (or an URL) to open the dashboard in QV Desktop, then you're probably pulling the QVW from a file share. And then a 2GB dashboard that is loaded in a PC with only 4GB of memory might become veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrryyyyyyyy slow indeed (due to paging until eternity).

richnorris
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Ah, sorry, poor description on my part. What I mean to say is, that once the dashboard has been accessed by someone via thick client, if I then entirely seperately from them log onto the host server, make changes locally to the document, and try and save it, I get the error message. It's as though someone trying to connect via thick client somehow 'locks' the dashboard.