Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdiamante
Contributor III
Contributor III

Data being excluded...

I recently implemented a Link Table to handle a situation where I had multiple fact tables of different grains.  The Link Table seems to work as expected in that the data look normal and the associations all work correctly.  However, I have an issue now where all data that doesn't match to the link table is excluded in the QV application. 

For example, I have a list of schools in NJ.  Some of those schools take the state test and therefore match to the Link Table which further matches to the state test fact table.  In my list of all schools, which is a list box referencing my school dimension table, none of the non-testing schools can be selected.

Investigation of what schools are excluded confirms that they are the schools who do not match to the link table because they do not have any students taking the state test.  I don't understand why these schools are being excluded... any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bdiamante
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

So apparently I had at one point in development added a list box for my assessment_code and set it to "always one selected value".  I must have since removed that list box from the application and I didn't have a current selections box active either.  So even though I was hitting clear, I always had one of the state test codes selected, which is clearly why my list was filtered the way it was. 

I'm sorry I've wasted everyone's time with this.  Moral of this story, if anyone ever finds this question again in the future, make sure you check you current selections box to ensure NOTHING is selected even when you are "sure" nothing is.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hard to tell. Any chance that you upload more information about your data model and some sample data, best by posting a small application that demonstrate your issue?

Here is a document that describes how you can scramble your private data and reduce size if necessary:

Preparing examples for Upload - Reduction and Data Scrambling

bdiamante
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I cannot upload the qvw and reducing doesn't seem possible, as it hides the problem so hopefully these screenshots help a little.

Here is a snapshot of my school list box.  I currently have "Camden" selected as the city.  The issue here is that only the schools serving grades 3-8 are shown, which is highlighted in the grade list box in the bottom right.  The expected result would show schools with ALL grades.  About 30 schools are being unintentionally filtered out.  As I mentioned above, the ONLY selection currently is "Camden" in the city_name field.

Question.PNG.png

And here is a screenshot of the data model via the table viewer.  It's pretty straightforward.

question2.PNG.png

bdiamante
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

So apparently I had at one point in development added a list box for my assessment_code and set it to "always one selected value".  I must have since removed that list box from the application and I didn't have a current selections box active either.  So even though I was hitting clear, I always had one of the state test codes selected, which is clearly why my list was filtered the way it was. 

I'm sorry I've wasted everyone's time with this.  Moral of this story, if anyone ever finds this question again in the future, make sure you check you current selections box to ensure NOTHING is selected even when you are "sure" nothing is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Current selection box is helpful - but what if the field with selection is a hidden field (e.g. by using HidePrefix)?  It will not be in current selections, and troubleshooting gets more interesting...

Thanks for sharing.