Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Data discovery

Hi All,

I have query about data discovery. I read lots pdf and article of same. but could not get it why & where data discovery used?

Would any one tell me real time requirement & example of it.

Thanks in Advanced

4 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Are you talking about the Qlik feature 'Direct Discovery', where you can access data in a DBMS also from the front end (no script reload to load granular data in memory, but running SQL on chart update), or are you talking about something else?

Not applicable
Author

Yes.

1. With out using data discovery we can extract data from DBMS, isn't it?

2. why running SQL on chart update? When we select any element of chart , does not any query run automatically?

Why in real world, we will required running SQL on chart update?

Thanks

avinashelite

feel like a interview question

1.It is Direct Discovery , it will extract the data directly from DB based on the user selection

2.Need: to get the real time data in the reports

swuehl
MVP
MVP

1) Yes, you can extract data from DBMS and load into the RAM when running the Qlik script on reload.

2) I think there are two scenarios:

The amount of data is really, really high, so it's useful to only fetch the aggregated data depending on the current selections, compared to loading all the granular data into RAM to allow filtering and aggregating within the in-memory DB.

Some people use it as a kind of real-time data update. Since new and updated data (compared to last script run) can be fetched when using direct discovery, this could be a way to do it. But remember that direct discovery does not apply to the complete data model of a potentially complex data model, only on a single table (for example, dimension tables might not get updated).