Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Data modelling avoiding synthetic keys

Hi,

I am used to database programs like MySQL now I am into Qlikview and learned about synthetic keys.

Is it always bad behavior if you have them? I know the standard things like renaming, qualify using aggregate keys.

I try to avoid synthetic keys. Synthetic keys get created when more then 1 field matches other tables.

Since Qlikview wants to join based on equal field names like shopID, retourNr and Count.

Count must not joined at all I could qualify this one. But how to avoid synthetic key of ShopID. If I qualify ShopID as well I loose my link with master data table. People must be able to select data based on ShopID.

My data model is like this:

BRS:

RetourNr,

Type ('def', 'mas' or 'inc')

ShopID,

Count

ShopScanned:

RetourNr

ShopID

Count

As masterdata I have:

ShopID, with detailed info of the shop.

So BRS --> ShopScanned -> Shop.

One solution is to create a field ScanShopID in master data table Shop and use this in ShopScanned as well this creates a loop but in practice not since only records with type 'mas' are using the ScanShopID

Thanks for helping me.

John

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Jhon ,

In your datamodel you need the combination of those two fields(RetourNr,ShopID) to create an a true ID field right?

What's the problem when you try to concatenate them, hope can help  you.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You could either concatenate or join your BRS and ShopScanned tables.  I usually prefer concatenate but without knowing your data I cannot suggest definitively, but I reckon concatenate would be the way to go.

I do not know your full data model, but this will go towards creating a Star Schema which is the most recommended model to go for.

Whilst synthetic keys are often bad, they are not always bad.  The one created by the IntervalMatch() is one of the few good ones.  But in general synthetic keys are a sign of either sloppy modelling of sloppy scripting.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks. I played with it for hours changing it to a join.

But one table blows up everything and script not loaded.

All fields are different and retournr is the key item. Strange I agree.

Is there a way to do a join after loading the data and combine it in a new table?

John

Not applicable
Author

I solved it by using store and concatenate.

John

swuehl
MVP
MVP

If your request is solved, please close this thread by flagging answers as helpful and / or correct (or setting the thread to assumed answered)

Qlik Community Tip: Marking Replies as Correct or Helpful

And just in case you haven't already seen this blog post

Synthetic Keys

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author