Qlik Community

QlikView App Dev

Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.

Announcements
Customer & Partners, DEC. 9, 11 AM ET: Qlik Product & Strategy Roadmap Session: Data Analytics REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Date number to Month Name

Hi Guys

I have imported some data from a spreadsheet but I am a bit stuck. In the spreadsheet, I have months running across the top and data running down. Month format in the spreadsheet is Jan-2011, Feb-2011, Mar-2011, etc. There are no days, just months. When I bring the data into Qlikview, it converts the Month names to numbers. How do I convert it back to Month Names? I have gotten months from dates before (2011-06-21 Being June). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi

Sorry no. What Qlikview has done was convert it from Jan-2011 to 40544 for example. I managed to come right. I changed the date format in my spreadsheet and converted it to a .csv file and for some reason, Qlikview recognised the months correctly. Could this be a bug?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

If i understand correctly, the import has converted Jan-2011 etc. to the format 01/01/2011 (or similar)?

To revert back to the Jan-2011 format, use the following:

Date(FieldName, 'MMM-YYYY')

Not applicable
Author

Hi

Sorry no. What Qlikview has done was convert it from Jan-2011 to 40544 for example. I managed to come right. I changed the date format in my spreadsheet and converted it to a .csv file and for some reason, Qlikview recognised the months correctly. Could this be a bug?

View solution in original post

Not applicable
Author

I believe QlikView stores all dates in that format (40544) until the user defines what format to display them in, so not a bug.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I assume you probably had an underlying numerical date format for your Month-Year values, so your spreadsheet passed the numerical value to QV.

40544 is the numerical representation of 1/1/2011, for example.