Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnhorneramllp
Partner - Contributor III

Development Laptop - 32-bit vs. 64 bit and Windows XP vs. Windows 7

Forum Users, i am looking at buying a new laptop for use with my QlikView developments and inevitably i am facing the questions of 32-bit vs. 64-bit and Windows XP vs. Windows 7 as well as what type of hardware to get..

I would greatly appreciate the thoughts of anybody who has been through a recent similar process. Usually the problem with 64-bit was the lack of an ODBC driver for MS Access - is this still an unresolved problem? Is QlikView supported on Windows 7...what flavour of that operating system should i be choosing?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Regards

John H

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gustav_Guldberg
Employee
Employee

Hi John,

I would go with x64 since I don't see any advantages in running the x86 platform.

Using x86 QlikView with x86 OS you will be limited to 2GB per process (3GB with switch).
If you go with x64 you can use 4GB per x86 process and unlimited (almost) with x64.

Microsoft never released any x64 drivers for Access. To get around it, install QlikView x64 and x86 on the machine. Extract the data from Access in x86 and store into QVD-files. Then use the x64 QlikView to fetch data from your other data sources as well as the QVD file you created in x86 QlikView.

I run Windows 7 on my x64 office machine and the x86 version on my Laptop, haven't had any issues at all.

Regards,

Gustav

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Gustav_Guldberg
Employee
Employee

Hi John,

I would go with x64 since I don't see any advantages in running the x86 platform.

Using x86 QlikView with x86 OS you will be limited to 2GB per process (3GB with switch).
If you go with x64 you can use 4GB per x86 process and unlimited (almost) with x64.

Microsoft never released any x64 drivers for Access. To get around it, install QlikView x64 and x86 on the machine. Extract the data from Access in x86 and store into QVD-files. Then use the x64 QlikView to fetch data from your other data sources as well as the QVD file you created in x86 QlikView.

I run Windows 7 on my x64 office machine and the x86 version on my Laptop, haven't had any issues at all.

Regards,

Gustav

Not applicable

Qlikview is "in-memory" and 32bit tends to only recognise upto 3gb of ram.

Thus 64bit all the way.

johnhorneramllp
Author

Awesome, thanks Gustav, that sounds like a plan!

John H

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gustav, John,

Do you know if there is any limit on any single process on 64 bit Windows standard, or does this require 64 bit Windows enterprise.

Kind Regards,

Martin

Not applicable

Hi Martin,

I had a similar query and was informed by Expert Services in Qliktech that there is no limit in 64 bit Windows standard.

Kind Regards,

Footsie

Gustav_Guldberg
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Sorry I missed your question Martin.

Here is a good guide from Microsoft on memory limitations:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

As you see the standard machines today aren't even near the limitaitions posted for the x64 process.

Regards,

Gustav