Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aarohipatel
Creator II
Creator II

Difference between Named Users and All Authenticated Users

Hello everyone,

My question is: In QMC, whats the difference between Distribute tab: User type option and the Server tab: Authorization option?

Also, in the Server tab: we have two options  for Allow Creation of server objects: Named Users and All Authenticated users. What is the difference between these options?

Thanks in Advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
maxgro
MVP
MVP

if you add a,b in distribute tab --> distribute to qlikview server  (popup window, from search result on the left to selected on the right) then a,b will be authorized to open the doc (they also need a license)

if you add a,b in server tab --> server objects --> allow .... (from search result on the left to selected on the right)

then a,b will be authorized to add server objects (they also need to be authorized to see the doc in distribute tab because before adding objects they need to open the document)

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Named Users:  The users have each been given explicit permission.

Authenticated Users:  All users that have successfully authenticated to one of your AD controllers have permission.

It's a Microsoft thing :     authenticated users

maxgro
MVP
MVP

If I understand the question

1)

In QMC, whats the difference between Distribute tab: User type option and the Server tab: Authorization option?

In distribute tab you can manage the distribution of a document (QlikView server, e-mail, folder) and the recipients.

In server tab, below, you authorize users to create server objects (chart, listbox, etc,....)  in a distributed (on Qlik server) document

-3.png

2)

Also, in the Server tab: we have two options  for Allow Creation of server objects: Named Users and All Authenticated users. What is the difference between these options?

copied from Server help

All Authenticated Users, meaning that any authenticated user is authorized.

Named Users, meaning that users that should be authorized are manually added, by searching for users and groups in a domain or on a computer (the names are resolved by the Directory Service Connector).

aarohipatel
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks for the  reply Maxgro.

Sorry for asking the same question again. But, I want be a lil clear.

So, Named user has access to all the documents where as Authenticated user has access to only specific documents to which he/she is given access to right?

"Allow creation of server objects" will give permissions to create objects like charts, list boxes etc. So, if I set it to All Authenticated users, then, apart from the developer of that document, all the authenticated users will also be able to make changes to the document? If, yes, what if I want only the developer to add objects but user should be able to make changes like drag and drop the columns in a straight table(for example) according to their convenience but the original developed document should not be changed.

Any suggestions on that please.(Or am I getting the whole concept wrong? )

Thanks

maxgro
MVP
MVP

No, here we are talking about 1 qlikview document (1 .qvw).

example: server with 5 users (a, b, c,d, e)

authenticated users = a, b, c, d, e

named user = when you choose named you get a new pop-up (image) where you add the users (a,b  or  a,c or d or etc......)

1.png

Allow creation............

When you choose authenticated (= all authenticated) or named (some users you define) in "allow creation of server objects" these users can add sheets, objects (chart, listbox) to the dashboard but the changes are saved on a server file, not in the original .qvw document . The original .qvw document doesn't change.

aarohipatel
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi maxgro,

example: server with 5 users (a, b, c,d, e)

authenticated users = a, b, c, d, e

named user = when you choose named you get a new pop-up (image) where you add the users (a,b  or  a,c or d or etc......)

In the example you mentioned, a,b,c,d,e are authenticated users. And, if I create a group of named users say a,b. Then, c,d,e will not be able to have access to the document(when I select the Named user option in the server tab)?

Thanks

maxgro
MVP
MVP

if you add a,b in distribute tab --> distribute to qlikview server  (popup window, from search result on the left to selected on the right) then a,b will be authorized to open the doc (they also need a license)

if you add a,b in server tab --> server objects --> allow .... (from search result on the left to selected on the right)

then a,b will be authorized to add server objects (they also need to be authorized to see the doc in distribute tab because before adding objects they need to open the document)

Not applicable

Hi maxgro,

Please let me know if this is correct. what I understood from your example is :

1 document

if, a,b,c,d,e are authenticated users.

All authenticated users= a,b,c,d,e

Named users can be a,b/b,c/...../all

Scenario 1: if in Distribute tab I give named users= a,b

Server tab I give all Authenticated.

So, does this mean that a, b are all authenticated users?

If not, then how can they make changes if they do not have access to open?

because only a,b have access to open the document and c,d,e do not.

Scenario 2: If I give in distribute tab: All authenticated users

Server tab: Named users a,b

In this case, does it mean that all a,b,c,d,e can open the document but only a,b can add objects?

Scenario 3: Distribute tab: Named user=a,b,c

Server tab: Named user= a,b

In this case: a,b,c, can open the document but only a,b can add objects?

Scenario 4: Distribute tab: All Authenticated users

Server tab: All Authenticated users

In this case: All a,b,c,d,e can open the document as well as add objects?

Thanks

Srikanth

aarohipatel
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Srikanth,

Scenario 1: if in Distribute tab I give named users= a,b

Server tab I give all Authenticated.

So, does this mean that a, b are all authenticated users?

All authenticated users will still be a,b,c,d,e. But, since the document is distributed to only a,b in the distribute tab, only they both will only have the ability to create server objects even though you have mentioned all authenticated users in the server tab. Because, apart from a,b rest of the users cant see the application since they are not in the distribution list.So, they cant create server objects too.

Scenario 2: If I give in distribute tab: All authenticated users

Server tab: Named users a,b

In this case, does it mean that all a,b,c,d,e can open the document but only a,b can add objects?

Yes, you are right. All the authenticated users(a,b,c,d,e) can open the document and see but only a,b can create server objects.

Scenario 3: Distribute tab: Named user=a,b,c

Server tab: Named user= a,b

In this case: a,b,c, can open the document but only a,b can add objects?

Yes, a,b,c can open the document but  only a,b can create server objects.

Scenario 4: Distribute tab: All Authenticated users

Server tab: All Authenticated users

In this case: All a,b,c,d,e can open the document as well as add objects?

Yes, you got it right.

Also, one more thing I would like to add is that: if you have no named users or authenticated users mentioned in the distribute tab and you select "All authenticated users" in the Server tab for allow creation of server objects then, no one can create server objects because first of all it is not being distributed to any one.

Another thing is that even if you select Named user/ All authenticated user in distribute tab and you do not select anyone in the server tab, still no one will be able to view the document even though you have distributed the doc. So, Any one selection is not made either on Server tab or on distribute tab then the application will not be available for anyone to open.

Hope this helps.

Thanks