Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Differentiate between BI and In Memory (Qlikview)

Hi Experts,

Pls find the attached file, I am in the process of understanding how In-Memory works.

Can you validate my excel attachment and let me know whether I am in right direction or not.

Requested you to validate and update the file if you want add some valuable point to understand of In-Memory.

Thanks,

1 Reply
Gysbert_Wassenaar

BI:

1. Often, but not always. BI suites ususally have a faciltity to make a snapshot of reports so the can be viewed without having to get the data again from the database
  2. Not necessarily. Column store database are often used for datawarehouses because of their performance benefits
  3. See 1, also a smart dbms will cache data and queries
  4. See again 1
  5. ??

Qlikview:

1. Mostly yes, but Qlikview now has a feature called Direct Discovery which allows you to retrieve data from the database on the fly
  2. Sort of, see here for more information
  3. Qlikview document published to Qlikview Server are usually scheduled there to refresh the data. The user accesses the document via a webinterface (ajax client or IE plugin). The document (inclusive date) is loaded into the ram on the server.
  4. Yes, see 3
  5. Mostly yes, but you will then need to do the modeling in Qlikview. Having a datawarehouse that's already designed and working well is a great foundation to build Qlikview applications on.
  6. Yes
  7. Each user accessing a document will cause some more ram to be consumed on the server, but the document and data are shared between the users. Session specific things like selections a user makes aren't.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand