Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwaligora
Creator II
Creator II

Direct Discovery / Direct Query - is there a Union option?

Hi,

I need to pull a small amount of data from a set of very large tables, based on a user-selected value.

I got Direct Discovery to work on a portion of my query (3 tables joined). The next step would be to Union two more such contraptions to the first one.  Problem is, there's no Union or concatenate operator that seems to work, meanwhile simply loading the tables in sequence seems to overwrite all data with the output of the very last Direct Discovery query.

Are there any workarounds for this issue?

...and if by some wild streak of luck there exists a functional solution to this question, then I have a follow up...namely the need to execute the final union'ed version against 3 separate Oracle TNS data sources. The user should be able to select which of the 3 TNS connections they wish to query.

Thoughts?

J.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

"UNION" is not supported by Direct Discovery, as far as I know.

In fact, the Help site states (https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2020/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/DirectDiscovery...:

"You can use Direct Discovery to load more than one table or view using ANSI SQL join functionality."

You will have to create a view-like table or a query in which the data is collected using JOIN and WHERE.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

"UNION" is not supported by Direct Discovery, as far as I know.

In fact, the Help site states (https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2020/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/DirectDiscovery...:

"You can use Direct Discovery to load more than one table or view using ANSI SQL join functionality."

You will have to create a view-like table or a query in which the data is collected using JOIN and WHERE.

jwaligora
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks. I'm using the joins already, but they're only part of the puzzle. I would have been OK with 3 separate dashboards (one per Oracle TNS name), but 3*3 to account for the two Unions in each query is a bit much. For all it's worth, I'd like to upvote union operator integration into the future features list.