Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raju_insights
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Direct Discovery vs Meta Data

Hi Techies,

I know when old records are updated in database user selection will query and aggregate the updated values. But when new records are inserted in database whether these inserted records will be read without a reload ? Because without a reload metadata of that field is not updated, right ? So logically Direct Query can not read newly inserted rows without a reload ? It can read only updated rows without reload ? Please someone clarify. Thanks.

Regards,

Rangaraju.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Digvijay_Singh

Dimension fields-

I think Dimension fields will need reload to get the updated and new records. This is what mentioned in the manual -

Note:

When DIMENSION fields are used in List boxes, the data values displayed in the List boxes are not

updated with direct queries. The Direct Discovery fields' data is updated only by reloading.

Measure fields -

This is what QV ref. manual says -

MEASURE fields, on the other hand, are recognized on a "meta level." MEASURE fields are not loaded in

memory (they do not appear in the Table View).The purpose is to allow aggregations of the data in MEASURE

fields to take place in the database rather than in memory.

When measure fields are not loaded in Qlikview document/RAM then it should be able to use the newly added records in the source database without any reload. BUT if new columns are added in the source then script update and reload is needed otherwise direct queries mentioned in the script won't use the newly added columns.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Digvijay_Singh

Dimension fields-

I think Dimension fields will need reload to get the updated and new records. This is what mentioned in the manual -

Note:

When DIMENSION fields are used in List boxes, the data values displayed in the List boxes are not

updated with direct queries. The Direct Discovery fields' data is updated only by reloading.

Measure fields -

This is what QV ref. manual says -

MEASURE fields, on the other hand, are recognized on a "meta level." MEASURE fields are not loaded in

memory (they do not appear in the Table View).The purpose is to allow aggregations of the data in MEASURE

fields to take place in the database rather than in memory.

When measure fields are not loaded in Qlikview document/RAM then it should be able to use the newly added records in the source database without any reload. BUT if new columns are added in the source then script update and reload is needed otherwise direct queries mentioned in the script won't use the newly added columns.

raju_insights
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Digvijay Singh,

Thanks for the input. Yesterday I experimented myself. What I came to know is, if I update existing record in sql, it is reflected in qlik app without a reload. But if I insert new record, it is not reflected in app without a reload.

Now I am more confused from your reply, because my inserted row had new dimension. It might also be the case it is not reflected in the app. Now let me try again by inserting a new record with existing Dimension and let you know.

raju_insights
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Digvijay Singh,

You are absolutely correct. Inserting new record with existing Dimension is reflected without a reload. Thanks.