cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bernhardiner
Contributor
Contributor

Display different strings in a texobject depending on choices

I have a rather simple application with 10 different measurements, visualised in 10 separate tabs, for 13 organisations. Every measurement one or more  descriptional texts that should be displayed in a text object, the combination of organisation and measurement determines the text that should be visible. I can not get the expression right to point out the right text in the HelpText-table.

Tables
Measurement A
OrgId|Year|ValueA1|ValueA2

[...]
Measurement J
OrgId|Year|ValueJ1|ValueJ2

Organisations
OrgId|OrgName

HelpText
OrgId|TabId|DescriptionText

List boxes on all tabs
OrgName
Year

Every tab has an "On Activate Sheet"-trigger that sets a variable (vActiveTab) to the relevant value, 1 for the first tab etc.

How do I write an expression to display the right DescriptionText in the HelpText-table?

Labels (1)
2 Replies
marcus_sommer

You may add the variable-values to your helptext-table or using getactivesheetid() to refer to them within your expressions.

But for me it seems that your datamodel missed a proper connection between the OrgId + Measurement and the Description Text.

Beside this I think I would load all measurements within a single-table by using crosstable-statements - it doesn't replaced the need for a valid linking of the OrgId + Measurement and the Description Text but it simplified the datamodel and reduced the efforts to use the fields within the UI. Also I would try to avoid the use of multiple sheets with additionally actions and variables just to display the same kind of information. The aim should be that just selecting the wanted values showed the right values.

- Marcus 

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

You can also look for some other possible solutions in the Design Blog area potentially, might find some posts there that could help too if Marcus' post did not get you exactly what you wanted.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/bg-p/qlik-design-blog

If Marcus' post did help though, you can use the Accept as Solution button on his post to give him credit for the help, or if you did something different, you can write that up and then mark that post too, it is greatly appreciated if you can close out your threads.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.