Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Document Analyzer V2 -- a major update

I've posted a major update "V2" to the Document Analyzer tool. It is available for download in the Tools section of QlikviewCookbook.com here Document Analyzer.

The primary function of Document Analyzer remains to identify unused fields that can be removed from your model. It has been expanded to assist in identifying slow charts.

There are a number of improvements over the 1.15 version, including bug fixes, a new UI, object calc times and improved analysis of variable and expression usage.

An important change is that only qvws that have been saved in QV10SR2 or later may be analyzed with this version. If you need to analyze an older document, save it first in QV10.

if a prj directory exists, it will be leveraged for the analysis. This can speed up the analysis run for documents with a lot of objects.

Use this thread if you have comments or questions. Enjoy.

-Rob

81 Replies
Not applicable

Here is the log. It appears to error our while processing container objects:

Document Analysis script version 2.2 started at 1/30/2015 4:59:54 PM
Processing document Q:\DEV\Daron\Dashboard-prj\Dashboard.qvw
Work Directory C:\Users\Daron\AppData\Local\Temp\qvwork\Dashboard\
Extracting Groups
Processing Sheets
Processing Sheet Objects for Sheet Document\SH01
Writing xml file C:\Users\Daron\AppData\Local\Temp\qvwork\Dashboard\Document\CT02.xml
Extracting Expressions
Extracting Dimensions
Extracting Fonts
Extracting Actions
Processing Container Objects for Container Document\CT02

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Hmm..There was a bug around processing container objects, but that was fixed some time back. I'd love to get a copy of that qvw and see what's up. You can remove of the data. If you don't want to post here, you can contact me via my website and I can give you an email address. If you can't provide me the qvw, please contact me any way and we'll figure something out.

http://robwunderlich.com/contact/

-Rob

Not applicable

I can send the QVW. I sent my email via your website.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Thanks. Got it. The containers CT01, CT02, CT03 on the first sheet have no valid objects. If you delete those containers it will run.

In the next update to Document Analyzer I'll check for this condition and tolerate the problem without failing. In the meantime, you can get around the problem by deleting the containers.

-Rob

Not applicable

Thanks for the quick response. I ran it and it worked perfectly!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rob

I am using the Document Analyzer v2.3 which so far has been very helpful so thanks however when I copy the drop field statement into my document and reload it is telling me it can't find the fields to drop even though it came up with them when it nalyzed the document and I can see them in the field list.

Is there something obvious I am missing? Any guidance would be appreciated

Cheers

Bella

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Nothing obvious I can think of. My suggestion would be:

1. Open the document log and scroll to the bottom.

2. select and copy one of the field names it is complaining about.

3. Find backwards in the script to confirm if that field exists and what it's history is.

Please let me know what you discover.

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rob

Some are fields from tables that have been dropped previously in the script.  Some however do not exist in the log file - some seem to be unconnected calendar fields such as Day, MonthName where my script only have these with a field name infront e.g. DateLoggedDay and CompletedDateMonthName etc

Cheers

Bella

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Are you reruning the Extract Metadata step in the Analyzer each time you modify the target document? Each time the target document script is changed and reloaded, you should run Extract Metadata followed by Reload in the Analyzer. Is that the sequence you are following?

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I am rerunning the metadata step, actually for most of these documents it's the first time I have analyzed them.