Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Documentation best practices?

Hi,

in several jobs I have made the experience that when doing anything in the area of programming/ coding/ developing or whatever, good documentation is an important topic, though an often-overlooked one, making it kind of hard to justify the time spent documenting stuff... However: Is there any article/ document available on best practices in documenting QlikView developments? I would like to begin right away by e.g. writing about one page in Word about any QV document I create, place it on a Server and link it directly to the document.

Thanks for any comments/ hints!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Reply
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I will begin by stating what I currently have:

My current task is implementing in QlikView a number of Reports currently available in Crystal. To document the QV documents I create in the process, I have developed a documentation_template, a copy of which will be populated for every QV document I create to replace one (or several) Crystal_Report(s) and linked to the document. That document currently contains

- the name of the report

- the adressee/ user

- the data sources used by the report

- the tables and details on the links between them

- a short description of what information the report conveys

- a description of the objects currently in place on the QV document

To document the progress on this task, I have also set up an Excel document with all the individual steps that have to be completed to implement a report, from an internal order to the final release. There is also a diagram to that - which will also be available in a Qlikview document.

Best regards,

DataNibbler