Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dynamic columns on Qlikview Report

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering whether anyone can give me some ideas on how to create a Qlikview report which contains dynamical columns.

For example, at beginning, the report is blank, after a Product Category is selected from a list box, then a Product Category column appears on the far left end of the report, later on, Product Name is selected, then a Product Name Column appears on the report next to the Product Category column, now there are two columns on the report, then all the calculated value for the two columns are on the right side of the report. please see the layout picture.

error loading image

If more Selections are made then more columns will be inserted into the report, and the existing column can be removed by users if it is not in use any more.

It sounds pretty challenging, because normally Qlikview report only has static columns on the report, but I think there must be a way to do it, however currently it is beyond my imagination, does anyone have any suggestions, Thanks a lot in advance.

Jim

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

This is actually quite simple, but is only possible with the following technique using a Straight Table. Under the Presentation tab, select the Product Category column and then select "Conditional." For the condition, you can use something like getselectedcount([Product Category])>0

Regards,

View solution in original post

13 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

This is actually quite simple, but is only possible with the following technique using a Straight Table. Under the Presentation tab, select the Product Category column and then select "Conditional." For the condition, you can use something like getselectedcount([Product Category])>0

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hello Vlad Gutkovsky,

Thank you very much for your kind reply. I will try this method and see how it goes.

Thank you again. Smile

Jim

Not applicable
Author

Dear Qlikview experts,

Here I have a few problems with my Dynamic Cloumn Report design in QlikView.

Please refer to the following screenshot and my source code.

Problem 1:

How to make the selected name at point 1 to show up in point 2 as Column name, (the points1,2,3 mentioned are marked in red color on the screenshot). At point 2 the current display is the expression at point 3.

Problem 2:

After the three selections are made (marked in Green color at point 1 in the screenshot), all the rows in the report of 'Groups' are messed up due to each selection,such as Apple, Banana, Cherry, has different number of values.

It supposes to be looking like this:

but it is not.

0647.Dyanmic_Column_QlikVeiw_Report.zipSo does any expert have any idea on how to solve the issues I mentioned above, please see my source code,

just download all the things to your desktop. It is a very practical design, I think

I love you experts in the forum as you always come with great ideas to conquer the hard challenges from Qlikview design.

Many thanks in advance.

(Special thanks to

Mr. Vlad Gutkovsky,

Consultant,

Natural Synergies, Inc.

as this design comes from your initial suggestion in my previous post 'Dynamic columns on Qlikview Report' dated on 12/04/2011)

Jim

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Problem 1: Set the label of the dimension to: =[Group 1] and the same for the other dimensions

Problem 2: Your data model is causing this problem. All the fields are islands so they are not associated. Therefore, when you put them into the same chart, QV will create every possible combination of them. I hope that makes sense.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Thank you sir,

What you said is correct, as my head was in an absent-minded state these days, I become very dull.

I think I solved the problem, and what you said is really helpful.

I'm testing the new version report now and try to make it a bit better and nicer.

If there are any new issues come out, I will let you know.

Many thinks to you.

Jim

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Glad I could help! Please verify correct answers 🙂

Cheers,

Not applicable
Author

Hello Vlad,

I currently have another issue about the Dynamic Column Qlikview report, it is listed below:

I finalized the report, it works fine (please refer to my source report: Dyanmic_Column_Qlikview_report.rar). but when I tried to build another same one, however it doesn't work properly (please refer to my another source report: Question.rar), and I compared the two, everything looks identical, and I could not figure out where goes wrong.

please have a look at my Qlikview source reports and the screenshot, then your expert might be easily to spot out what is wrong.

[View:http://community.qlik.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/11/2061.Dyanmic_5F00_Column_5F00_QlikVeiw_5F00_Report.rar:550:0]

[View:http://community.qlik.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/11/8838.Question.rar:550:0]

I tried hard but still could not find out what is wrong.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jim

Not applicable
Author

And the table relations looks alright in each Qlikview report.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Jim,

It's considered bad forum etiquette to not accept correct answers...please verify all correct answers (can verify more than 1).

Re your newest problem, see attached solution.

Regards,